PDA

View Full Version : media storage file systems

LLS
4th April 2006, 02:52 PM
Greetings, like many users I have a mixed network of Linux and Windows computers with my goal being to convert 100% to Linux after getting my Fedora systems configured as user friendly as possibly for my families computing needs.
My question is while adding media storage hdds, what file system will give me the best option for accessability by the mixed os's now and then the pure Linux systems down the line. My Windows are ntfs and my Fedoras are ext3. I do not like using any third party utilities like Partition Magic for conversions so I want to plan ahead as best I can. Thanks

daverj
4th April 2006, 02:56 PM
If you are eventually going to be linux only, then in the long run ext2, ext3, reiserfs, etc will be the best bet. Otherwise, you will always need to have the ntfs kernel modules installed and update them whenever the kernel updates. Also, it doesn't make much sense to have ntfs partitions around when you wont' be using windows. To get it all to work you will need to install and configure samba.

Dave

LLS
4th April 2006, 03:09 PM
Right now I am using the Windows for the media server and will eventually hand the job over to a FC box once I get it functional. So is FAT out of the question, I want access now and later and I figure the change will take a couple months for me.

daverj
4th April 2006, 03:11 PM
FAT isn't necessarily out of the question. Its simply a matter of what is best in the long run, not necessarily convenient in the short run. If I were to do it, I would put it all on reiserfs and let samba take care of it. But that's just me.

Dave

LLS
4th April 2006, 03:20 PM
So SAMBA will allow me to transfer existing files on the ntfs box to "new file system" on the new harddrive and also allow access now while using say "win media center". Then when everything is linux, I would be good to go with M-player or what ever is good in FC.

daverj
4th April 2006, 03:25 PM
You are correct. The whole point of samba is to let windows filesystems and *nix filesystems to talk to each other.

Dave