PDA

View Full Version : New graphics setup

drunkahol
4th April 2006, 02:27 PM
Folks,

I'm in the middle of a dilema (and probably the wrong forum) - can anyone help me?

My old nvidia card isn't up to the job any more, and I've decided to chuck out the pathetic monitor that has started to fade. Problem is, I'm not up to speed with the graphics card and monitor worlds.

I'd *LIKE* to replace the monitor with a Philips 200W6 (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/84867/philips-200w6.html) monitor linked via DVI to a suitable nvidia AGP graphics card.

Thing is, I just don't know what graphics card I can get away with.

The priorities are in the following order:

1. Drive X at 1680x1050 via DVI.
2. Card is supported by nvidia's latest drivers.
6. Reasonable 3D performance (I'm no gamer).
7. Low power consumption.
8. Passive heatsink or VERY quiet fan.

6, 7 & 8 can be switched around, but 1 & 2 are by far the most important. The card will be going in an ASUS K8V motherboard with an AMD64 3200+ CPU and 2Gb Ram.

I'd looked at the GeForce 6600 range, but don't know enough to figure out what's suitable.

Has anyone got any advice for me?

Thanks

Duncan

bob
4th April 2006, 04:10 PM
I'm running about the same motherboard with an Nvidia Geforce4 MX420 graphics card and a Cornea 17" LCD monitor and I get very decent graphics, reasonably good game play and it's all easily recognized by the system. The card is ancient by today's standards and can be had for just a few dollars. The monitor isn't recognized by name, but the default settings work fine.

What I'd do is log in as root and check 'system-config-display' to see which monitors and cards are listed as supported, then make your choice from there.

tscheez
4th April 2006, 04:20 PM
I pulled an old nVidia GeForce3 Ti 200 (NV20? or so system-config-display says) out of an older dell. Runs 1600x1200 @ 85hz. Works with the newest nVidia drivers. Has DVI out (i dont use it, but it's there) , and no fan I'm just not sure of the 3D performance since I never use 3D on this box, but it can't be that bad.

drunkahol
4th April 2006, 05:21 PM
I just checked the nvidia README for the 8178 driver and the card I have is listed as supported.

Now I really AM confused!

lspci lists it as:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400] (rev b2)

Which is DEFINITELY on the supported list.

It doesn't have DVI, however, so I'm not against buying a new card to fix this issue.

Does anyone know if DVI drives a 1680x1050 resolution?

Thanks

Duncan

Daniel114
4th April 2006, 05:48 PM
I thought, although I could be very wrong that the MX 440 had DVI and the MX400 did not, its a 64mb card right? hang on ill have another look...

drunkahol
5th April 2006, 09:57 AM
Don't think it has DVI at the back. I bought it as a cheap replacement for a Kyro II card years ago.