PDA

View Full Version : How to setup VNC to start at boot?

sternfan
4th April 2006, 02:17 PM
Hi all - I want to setup a remote FC5 samba box, but am running into the problem that if it needs rebooted, you have to be local to logon & startup VNC.

So, how do you setup VNC so that it is enabled after a reboot?

Thanks a bunch,

Rob

pparks1
4th April 2006, 02:32 PM
chkconfig vncserver on

sternfan
25th April 2006, 03:29 PM
Sorry about the slow response - I tried this on 5 FC5 boxes, and it is not working. I reboot them, try to remote into them with VNC and nothing works...

Any other solutions I can try? Basically all I want is for VNC to be constantly running so that if I remotely work on a FC5 box & have to reboot or logoff - that I can then get back into it.

Thanks,
Rob

Quella
25th April 2006, 03:45 PM
I would recommend that you use SSH for your acces and enable and disable VNC only when you need it, and only over an SSH tunnel. You do not want to have a system with VNC running all the time that is Internet facing. There are many hacks or brute-force attacks on VNC, also the ID and Password are sent in clear text.

I connect to my server via SSH, start the vnc server from the terminal window, connect via the SSH tunnel, shutdown the VNC server when done.

Quella

sternfan
25th April 2006, 04:35 PM
Thanks for the quick response - but these PCs are behind a enterprise-level firewall and do not have direct internet access.

Rob