PDA

View Full Version : Why, how to fix and avoid login failure with user accounts

Ambiguous-69
4th April 2006, 06:38 AM
I want to know why and how to avoid and fix Xserver GUI, user login failure to desktop managers.

This happened when i ran out of free space and removed kdegames component, but im sure that is not the reason or only reason it kept returning me to the login screen when i typed my user name and password in.

I want this problem sorted and fixed and understand why it happens and the only way to do that is for anyone who has had the same problem to describe what actions they did just before they restarted and experienced the same problem. At least then we can understand where the source of the problem might be and how to fix it and avoid it and possibly make a patch for it.

Alukardian
4th April 2006, 02:57 PM
Same thing happened to me when I tried to remove the alsa package. It removed a lot of files needed by gnome and kde. On reboot I tried to log in and got the same xserver login window and not matter what I tried I couldn't log in. The only thing I have found to fix this is to reinstall kde and gnome. If you find another way to work around this send it to me.

DukeNukem
4th April 2006, 04:18 PM
I am getting this problem when I use my own custom kernel. Even if i rebuild the kernel without changing a thing, users cant login gnome, only root can.