PDA

View Full Version : SCIM help????

thesun
4th April 2006, 02:48 AM
Hi, I'm using FC5 and am trying to get my system to allow for multiple language inputs in addition to English. I had this running fine in FC4 and somehow can't get it to work now.

I use KDE (if that matters), and just want to (in either OpenOffice or my email program) type in a choice of English, Japanese, or Korean. I have all the SCIM stuff installed (I can see the various choices if I use the SCIM setup program) but the problem is that when I type "Cntl-space" (which should trigger SCIM) nothing happens. I don't know what I'm doing wrong...

The only big thing is that I really don't want to use an all Japanese environment or all Korean environment...I just want to keep it in English except when I write to certain friends.

Does anyone out there have SCIM working in KDE? What am I missing? Many thanks in advance for suggestions. :confused: Sigh...

Omega Blue
4th April 2006, 03:55 AM
Check this section (http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/release-notes/fc5/#id3140605) of the release notes.

Release notes is a good thing to read :)

daihard
4th April 2006, 04:07 AM
Does anyone out there have SCIM working in KDE? What am I missing? Many thanks in advance for suggestions. :confused: Sigh...
I do. I've been using SCIM with both FC4 and FC5 with only a few minor issues.

I used to have my own startup file that set XMODIFIERS and invoked scim, but I'm doing exactly what the link Omega Blue provided suggests now. That is, create a symlink ~/.xinput.d/default from /etc/X11/xinput/xinput.d/scim. That should be enough for you. You do have scim-anthy and scim-hangul installed, correct?

thesun
4th April 2006, 04:46 AM
...I _knew_ it had to be easy.

Now if only world peace were as simple as a $@##! symlink.

Thanks, both of you, for taking the time to point out the obvious. I'm all set now.

FireGunz
3rd May 2006, 06:43 PM
Hi, I had install the SCIM and it also appear at the right upper conner... I also had install the Chinese font but still unable view the font at all....

please help about it.... :(