PDA

View Full Version : Installing windows

JamSession
4th April 2006, 02:22 AM
Well after I finally got everything working in Linux my windows partition got corrupted. So is there a way that I can reinstall windows without it over writing grub??

shams
4th April 2006, 02:40 AM
i think not possible to keep grub because windows will destroy the mbr, the only way is first make a grub bootdisk for fedora then install the windows, boot with fedora grub bootdisk and resinstall the grub to mbr, how to make grub bootdisk read this link (http://shamsweb.50webs.com/page3.html#grub) .

daverj
4th April 2006, 02:47 AM
No, you cannot. A windows installation will always rewrite the boot sector. However, after the windows installation, you can boot up on a rescue cd and rewrite the boot sector. Do the following to manually reinstall grub after you have booted up on a rescue disc:

1) you will need to find the boot partition for fedora. Lets assume that it is /dev/hda3

2) enter grub at the command prompt

3) then at the grub prompt do the following

root (hd0,2)
setup (hd0)

this will setup grub in the boot sector of /dev/hda

Note: /dev/hda1 is (hd0,0), dev/hda2 is (hd0,1), etc

Dave

Tashiro
4th April 2006, 02:52 AM
i think not possible to keep grub because windows will destroy the mbr, the only way is first make a grub bootdisk for fedora then install the windows, boot with fedora grub bootdisk and resinstall the grub to mbr, how to make grub bootdisk read this link (http://shamsweb.50webs.com/page3.html#grub) .

Your link appears to be broken.

Tashiro

LightsOut
4th April 2006, 03:21 PM
how did you corrupt your windows partition?

pparks1
4th April 2006, 03:32 PM
windows will destroy the mbr
While I admit that Windows does have some problems, it doesn't actually "destory" the MBR.

However, Windows will "ALWAYS" overwrite the MBR. It makes a very bold assumption that it is the "ONLY" operating system which will be there and can full control of the MBR.

You will have to reinstall grub as Daverj shows above.

JamSession
4th April 2006, 08:41 PM
how did you corrupt your windows partition?

I was rendering out of Maya and got the blue screen of death. So when I went to restart the computer it said error config/32 is corrupt and is just a black screen.

I heard there is a way to back up grub now before I install windows on a floppy?