PDA

View Full Version : Gui Control Panel?

LGer
4th April 2006, 12:20 AM
I'm trying to break away from Windows but there a few things that I really miss. Is there anything in Fedora comparable to the Device Manager in Windows? I would like to know what devices are working and what I need to work on to get going... Also I can't seem to find anywhere how much disk space I have or the amount of installed memory. I know how much I have but I'd like to know if Fedora sees it. Thanks...

Pete333
4th April 2006, 12:58 AM
I'm trying to break away from Windows but there a few things that I really miss. Is there anything in Fedora comparable to the Device Manager in Windows? I would like to know what devices are working and what I need to work on to get going... Also I can't seem to find anywhere how much disk space I have or the amount of installed memory. I know how much I have but I'd like to know if Fedora sees it. Thanks...

Welcome to Fedora. ...Yup! there is an equivalent. ...for the Device Manager I use "System->Administration" ..."Nautilus" always show you how much disk space is left. ...and "System->Administration->System Monitor" will show you CPU and memory usage. .also there's "Hardware Browser".

Seve
4th April 2006, 01:05 AM

Hi:
hwbrowser and system-config-control --- these in combination would be roughly the same sort of central info center etc.
"System-config-control provides an organized and centralized interface to all of
Fedora's configuration utilities. It also hooks into firstboot, allowing these
tools to be run after initial installation."
"hwbrowser :A browser for your current hardware configuration"
These are not installed by default in FC5 [AFAIK], so just use yum to install them. If they are not what you are looking for then you can use yum to remove them.
You might also want to have a look at /System/Administration/System Monitor , it will display information in gui about discs and memory etc. Or yoy can open a terminal and type top enter and have a look at the information provided.

hth

Seve

LGer
4th April 2006, 01:16 AM
Thanks guys.... I will try them. In another thread a newbee like myself asked something along the same lines although not as specific. He was told to try KDE. I'm playing with that now and it seems to give users a wealth of knowledge about their system. Even made me brave enough to try to get on my home network. Haven't checked yet but I'll bet I'm close to tapping in anyway.... Thanks for the quick responses. I'm really enjoying this.... challenges and all. Time to play.... Leon

Seve
4th April 2006, 02:44 AM
LGer
To install system-config-control open up a terminal and login as root.
At the prompt type yum -y install system-config-control enter
Once it is done installing you will find it under your Gnome Menu [as either the user or root] at /Applications/System Tools/System Control Center
hth

Seve