PDA

View Full Version : running firefox 1.5... need some quick help

-dko-
4th April 2006, 12:18 AM
i just downloaded the firefox 1.5 tarball. installation instructions on the mozilla site say to just extract it and that is all. i'm totally new to linux... i'm assuming this isn't just a regular tarball and i don't need to compile anything? "./configure" does not work and neither does the "make install" command. if everything that is required to run firefox is in the extracted dir then how do i start to use it?? i've searched the forums for a solution, but to no avail. any help would be appreciated.

bob
4th April 2006, 01:08 AM
There's plenty of ways: http://forum.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86839

gorak
4th April 2006, 04:52 AM
You don't have to compile anything. those are precompiled binaries. just run firefox from the directory where you extracted

-dko-
5th April 2006, 08:15 AM
i'm assuming that you have to uninstall the old firefox before the new one can be "applied" right? i've replaced the firefox folder within my user's /home/.mozilla folder. still loads up as v1.0. i also tried having a "shortcut" point to the extracted dir. still doesn't work. isn't there like a yum uninstall command of some kind?

also... the extracted files don't seem to be ready to use. looks like you still have to do something in order for it to load up as v1.5.