PDA

View Full Version : better gui

bbraner
3rd April 2006, 08:43 PM
Hello- I am new to linux. I just stated using it about 4 days ago. I have jumped through several distrobutions so far starting out with a live boot cd of linspire. Really liked the windows like enviroment but limited on features such as secuirty and coudld not do server work. Plus when i bought a copy with CNR at best buy(44 bucks i love moms discounts) it would not install on my laptop. So i stopped in at my local barns and noble and bought linux bible version 6. I installed Fedora 4 and played around with knnopix for a while. Once again liking the gui on knnopix. I just got fedora installed last night and then fell asleep. I am impressed with the features such as the servers and programs it comes with. Its almost just like knnopix(which i would probably use if it wasnt just a bootable linux) I am just curious if there is a better GUI to go with it. Im not liking the plain jane look. I know this is a trivial question but it would make it much more appealing to use.
Thanks

Lluisanunez
3rd April 2006, 08:46 PM
Install KDE from your FC4 CDs (System settings > Add/remove applications)

bbraner
3rd April 2006, 08:59 PM
hmm i believe i did when i installed fedora, i went through and selected all the options and then just selected the everything from the bottom, i could be wrong, im asuming i am lol. also i dont see that path system add remove
all i ahve is applications places desktop, its setup somewhat simular to a mac in the top left corner

Lluisanunez
3rd April 2006, 09:02 PM
You need to logout, at the login screen you'll see a button "session", there you select KDE and then login again

bbraner
3rd April 2006, 09:09 PM
thank you that is much better, i dont know why i like that set up better lol now all i need to do is figure out how to get my ati 9100 radeon graphics card working lol, i have found a site that has it using yum but i can figure out how to use yum yet, i believe i have to be in the root user?

ilja
3rd April 2006, 09:10 PM
read :
www.fedorafaq.org

bbraner
3rd April 2006, 09:32 PM
hmm i went though did that it installed a bunch of things and then came up with
Parsing package install arguments
No Match for argument: ati-fglrx
No Match for argument: kernel-module-fglrx-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
Nothing to do
You have mail in /var/spool/mail/root

Firewing1
3rd April 2006, 09:43 PM
Try this first in a terminal: ([menu] > Applications > Accessories > Terminal)

su -
yum update -y
reboot
Login again and restart the terminal now...

rpm -Uhv http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release4.rpm
yum install ati-fglrx kernel-module-fglrx
I know you probably figured out, but newbs have asked this before... Yes, you have to type that in :D
Oh, and I noticed you're in FC4... I HIGHLY recommend downloading FC5 and updating, it's much better & faster. The GUI is also much nicer, if that's what you're looking for.
Firewing1

Lluisanunez
3rd April 2006, 09:45 PM
Did you first configure Yum as explained in Fedorafaq.org?
If you didn't, Yum is not finding the files.

bbraner
3rd April 2006, 10:29 PM
haha nope i missed that part, i greatly apologize for my stupidty, like i said new to this stuff, it said complete this time, i hope i can get above 800x600 resolution this time, i will post how it comes out

bbraner
3rd April 2006, 10:42 PM
hmm it didnt take?? i also notice i have to redo my network settings after every restart, do i have to save my settings?

Lluisanunez
3rd April 2006, 11:13 PM
After configuring yum, you should do as Firewing1 has explained above.
How are you configuring network? Its in Desktop -> System settings ->network
or Applications -> System tools -> Internet config wizard

bbraner
3rd April 2006, 11:22 PM
yep i got my network up and running but when i restart my computer i have to redo it everytime i have done it as explained above and its not working, i have yum configured by the etc and wget http://(i cant remember the rest) and i then did it as explained and it stll comes up as misssing, i got it to work once then i restarted and lost it, im not sure,

Firewing1
4th April 2006, 12:28 AM
su -
rpm -Uhv http://rpm.livna.org/livna-release5.rpm
yum install nvidia-glx kmod-nvidia xorg-drv-nvidia

As for network, can we have more info? What exactly, do you have to reconfigure?
Firewing1

Lluisanunez
4th April 2006, 08:36 AM
Look, the Yum config and Nvidia bit are to set up your video card. Is this solved? Did you go to System settings -> Display ? Did you see your card?
Now the network is a different question. How do you configure your network?