PDA

View Full Version : Burning the fedora 5 iso cds

stever
3rd April 2006, 07:40 PM
Hi guys I have recently downloaded the 5 iso cds of F5, now I have a dual boot system xp and fedora, I have downloaded the iso's on ntfs partition cs am still unfamilliar with writing files with fedoraC4 now my problem is for some reason my cdr is not writing the files to cd's, the question is, is there a way that I can upgrade my fedoraC4 to fedora5 with the iso's on the ntfs partition, knowing that I can copy files from there and read ntfs partition from fedora.
thanks for any kind of help :cool:

Alukardian
3rd April 2006, 07:44 PM
Are you tring to copy the individual files or are you tring to burn the iso to a cd?

stever
3rd April 2006, 07:50 PM
burning the iso to cds but it's not working, Alukardian no offense but I know how I am supposed to burn the files I've done that with fedora core4 before, but as said before the CDR is not burning them even thought I have chosen to burn them on a very low speed 4x it's saying burn failed before it's trying to start burning them, am not sure if it's the burner or the program am using (nero 6), but am just following the same steps I've done with the 4 iso's of fedora Core 4

stever
3rd April 2006, 08:14 PM
come on there must be a way :)

acey99
3rd April 2006, 08:18 PM
bad cdrs?

bad iso's ?

you md5 the iso's

mine works perfectly, & I used NTI 7

stever
3rd April 2006, 08:20 PM
I don't think the iso's are bad but no I didn't md5 them how do I do it? never tried it :(

stever
3rd April 2006, 09:04 PM
Guys am not bying a new CDR now:D ;)

stever
3rd April 2006, 09:13 PM
wondering and waiting for help :(

stever
3rd April 2006, 09:48 PM
it's affermative that I have a CDR problem cs I wasn't able to write files to it using the direct write files from winxp so pls I need an alternative for burning the iso's pls help

bachtiar
3rd April 2006, 09:50 PM
There is a way! For a hacker, anything is possible.

Boot into FC4 and mount NTFS (you will need to find a NTFS-enabled kernel though, because NTFS is not included in Fedora by default, or roll it by yourself from sources, which are in Fedora).

Then, you must copy ISO images to a EXT3 or FAT32 partition, because the installer can not access ISO images on NTFS. Files must be named as original, I think. Then, you can mount first ISO image via loopback and extract the kernel and initrd of the installer (I think it's in isolinux directory). You add that to GRUB, just as any other kernel, and reboot.

In GRUB, you select installer kernel to boot. Anaconda will start, and you will be able to set disk images as installation source.

stever
3rd April 2006, 09:58 PM
ok I have a fat 32 partition cs I have infact 3 operating systems installed on my machine xp win me and fedora C4 can you pls show me, howto do it by commands? adding that I have ntfs mounted on fc4 from previous use. a way Finally :) thanks bachtiar

bachtiar
3rd April 2006, 10:14 PM
Yes, you do it by these commands:
man mount
man cp
man losetup
info grub

Wish you lots of fun :-)

stever
3rd April 2006, 10:17 PM
thanks a lot bachtiar :)

acey99