PDA

View Full Version : xcam, SANE, and Connectix B&W QuickCam

jdudeck
29th March 2004, 04:38 PM
I'm trying to get my old Connectix B&W QuickCam parallel port camera to work. I installed all of the SANE rpms and edited /etc/sane.d/qcam.conf to enable the appropriate address:

0x378 # /dev/lp1

When I run xcam (as root) it indicates that there is a Connextix B&W QuickCam video camera attached, and it gives the adjustment controls for Brightness, Contrast, etc. If the camera is not plugged in, xcam just displays a generic screen without these controls. So I know it recognizes the camera and supports it. If I don't run as root it doesn't recognize the camera.

However when I click the "Play" button, the program immediately seg faults. (It displays Segmentation fault on the console, and the X screen stops responding. If I kill the xcam process the X screen goes away).

I get a similar seg fault when trying to use scanimage.

I have just run up2date, so I have the latest kernel and other updates. The problem did not change before or after the up2date.

The motherboard is an Asus CUV4X and I have tried setting the parallel to all of the parallel modes: Normal, EPP, ECP (DMA3), ECP+EPP. The result is the same in each case.

I also tried in qcam.conf: u0x378, with no change in result.

Is there something else I need to do to configure SANE, etc?

ghenry
29th March 2004, 09:50 PM
Not sure. Maybe some of the other guys might know? Come on guys, speak up.