PDA

View Full Version : Questions About Livna and RPMForge

Bgumby
3rd April 2006, 04:55 PM
Hello,
I have heard a lot about not mixing repos from Livna and RPMForge (dag/freshrpms/dries/newrpms etc. ), I understand that doing so will break your Fedora install but I canít find any good information about why and how these repos when used together break Fedora.
SoÖ
What causes Fedora to break when you mix these repos? What happens? I looking for the technical why and how.
Also..
Are both repos groups fully compatible with Fedora Extras?

Thanks in advance,
bgumby

bob
3rd April 2006, 07:08 PM
Well, it's not so much those repos, but ATRPMS that can be problematic (see the warning here: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JohnMahowald/ATrpmsWarning). As to RPMForge and Livna, there can be different versions of software that can cause glitches, so the wisest thing is to pick one or the other for normal updates, but for individual packages it's pretty safe to install from both. I've got them all listed in my .repos.d and when needed, I simply enable the one I want with "yum --enablerepo=livna(or dries, etc) install programname"

Jman
4th April 2006, 01:26 AM
Livna requires Extras. It should not conflict, and uses Extras as dependencies when needed.

rpmforge I'm not as familiar with, but they do seem to contain stuff in Core or Extras.

Finalzone
4th April 2006, 05:20 AM
I only use RPMForge to install application not available in Livna or Extras.