PDA

View Full Version : Some questions before installing

Yoeri
3rd April 2006, 10:19 AM
I am thinking about trying FC5 but I want to get some answers first ...

I have an Asus A4K portable with an AMD 64 Mobility 3200+ processor and an ATI Radeon 9700 Mobile.

I already installed FC4 a couple of months ago but I had trouble with the display drivers. It seems that when doing some random actions (clicking menus,...) a small area of the screen is scrambled. When clicking on the desktop, the screen was being refreshed and everything was fine. This is very annoying and I don't want it to happen again. I also have this problem with OpenSuse. Ubuntu never gave me this problem. Is this known ?

Should I install the 64-bit edition or the 32-bit one? I often read that driver support for 64-bit is not that good.

Another problem I often see is ACPI. I noticed that my cpu cooler is almost always on on Ubuntu. OpenSUSE and Windows almost behave the same way ... cool when nessecary. How does Fedora handle this ? I don't like my cooler to keep cooling all of the time.

ps. I am a Windows programmer and I want to get my stuff running on Mono ... ;)

davisj2
3rd April 2006, 03:17 PM
I have a AMD 64 running FC5 with a ATI Radeon 9250. Where you able to get the driver installed for yours? If so what were your steps? I downloaded the driver from ATI, ran the install, and then could not run aticonfig. Received an error:

aticonfig: error while loading shared libraries: libfglrx_pp.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
any suggestions?

Jman
4th April 2006, 12:45 AM
Known problems are in the bug database, either Fedora's or freedesktop.org's.

If you run cpuspeed the processor should clock down when not in use if you have PowerNow, significantly reducing heat. A

davisj2
4th April 2006, 03:24 AM
Is the current bug you're on my post (the ATI Video issue)?

davisj2
4th April 2006, 03:25 AM
sorry about the bad grammar?

Yoeri
4th April 2006, 07:42 AM
davisj2,

I installed FC5 yesterday, no problems with the Radeon Mobility 9700.
The only problem I have is that the CPU fan is active 90% of the time which is very annoying.

Yoeri
4th April 2006, 07:46 AM
Thanks JMan !!

The PowerNow feature is probably used by Windows to reduce heat ... I'll try it tonight