PDA

View Full Version : FC5 - Add/Remove packages from CD

sudheerd
3rd April 2006, 09:31 AM
Hi,
Under FC5, is it possible to add/remove packages from the CD-ROM?. The new package manager appears to be downloading packages from the internet instead of searching the alreay mounted CD-ROM. OR Is that old package manager available with the FC5 installation CDs?

Thanks,
Sudheer

Omega Blue
3rd April 2006, 11:05 AM
You can add the CDs as a repo. I have seen instructions around here somewhere.

Paul_Vandenberg
3rd April 2006, 02:12 PM
I've done this with the DVD. I edited /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-core.repo and commented out the line that starts with 'mirrorlist' and added after it this line.....

baseurl=file:///media/disk

You need to have the DVD inserted when you enter 'Add/Remove Programs' or the package updater. I'm not sure how this would work with the 5 CDs. I've only tried it with the one DVD. Try inserting CD #1 when enter the package manager and see if it prompts you for the other CDs when you try to install stuff from them.

vnpenguin
3rd April 2006, 05:24 PM
With set of 5CD, I found only repodata on the 1st. So I dont think that works with others.

bob
3rd April 2006, 06:52 PM
Consider that the packages on the CD's are probably already dated and newer ones exist. It might be better to review which ones you'd like and then simply install the latest versions with Yum. Probably just as fast (except with dial-up, of course).

RahulSundaram
3rd April 2006, 07:02 PM
Hi,
Under FC5, is it possible to add/remove packages from the CD-ROM?. The new package manager appears to be downloading packages from the internet instead of searching the alreay mounted CD-ROM. OR Is that old package manager available with the FC5 installation CDs?

Thanks,
Sudheer

http://www.city-fan.org/tips/YumRepoFromImages