PDA

View Full Version : how to patch using command line

xyleo
3rd April 2006, 08:17 AM
Dear All,

Just would like to know on how to patch all neccessary security patches by strictly using the command line. And how would i know which is the best for my machine?

Thanking in advance.

Best Regards,
xYlEo

Seehund
3rd April 2006, 04:11 PM
Dear All,

Just would like to know on how to patch all neccessary security patches by strictly using the command line. And how would i know which is the best for my machine?

If you mean package updates when you say "security patches", then all you have to do is to type as root:

yum update

This will download and install the latest updates (RPM packages) for all software that was delivered with Fedora Core.

(If you mean applying patches to source code, then the one who supplied the patch usually provides any special instructions which you don't find by reading the manual entry for the "patch" command.)

xyleo
4th April 2006, 04:08 AM
Hello Seehund,

Thanx a million for your reply.

For your info, i am using a Linux 7.3 old version. would these yum be available there. ??

Thanking in advance...
Rgds,

twiistedkaos
4th April 2006, 04:12 AM
Hello Seehund,

Thanx a million for your reply.

For your info, i am using a Linux 7.3 old version. would these yum be available there. ??

Thanking in advance...
Rgds,
This forum is strictly for fedora support. Fedora by default comes with Yum.

xyleo
4th April 2006, 06:51 AM
Ok Noted Twisted Kaos. Well thought someone could help me out. But anyway it's okie.

Best Rgds,
Cheers
xyleo
malaysia