PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question

eric_x
3rd April 2006, 12:57 AM
Ok.. I have a feeling that this is an easy question.. but when I try to do a ./configure, I get an error that says configure: error: "You must have X installed"

What package do I install? :confused:

daverj
3rd April 2006, 01:51 AM
yum groupinstall "X Window System"

remember, you must be root or use sudo

Dave

eric_x
3rd April 2006, 02:12 AM
It won't install that.. says it's allready there?

[root@Compaq_Presairo Eric]# yum groupinstall "X Window System"
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Group Process
Setting up repositories
livna [1/7]
livna 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
gst-0.10-apps [2/7]
gst-0.10-apps 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
updates [3/7]
updates 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
core [4/7]
core 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
gst-0.10-deps [5/7]
gst-0.10-deps 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
extras [6/7]
extras 100% |=========================| 1.1 kB 00:00
gst-0.10-gst [7/7]
gst-0.10-gst 100% |=========================| 951 B 00:00
Setting up repositories
Reading repository metadata in from local files
primary.xml.gz 100% |=========================| 68 kB 00:00
updates : ################################################## 217/217
Added 14 new packages, deleted 0 old in 2.73 seconds
Package xorg-x11-server-Xorg - 1.0.1-9.i386 already installed and latest versionPackage xorg-x11-fonts-misc - 7.0-3.noarch already installed and latest version
Package xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-75dpi - 7.0-3.noarch already installed and latest version
Package xorg-x11-fonts-100dpi - 7.0-3.noarch already installed and latest version
Package xorg-x11-fonts-75dpi - 7.0-3.noarch already installed and latest versionPackage xorg-x11-xauth - 1:1.0.1-1.2.i386 already installed and latest version
Package desktop-backgrounds-basic - 2.0-31.noarch already installed and latest version
Package xorg-x11-fonts-ISO8859-1-100dpi - 7.0-3.noarch already installed and latest version
Package xorg-x11-xinit - 1.0.1-2.i386 already installed and latest version
Package xorg-x11-fonts-Type1 - 7.0-3.noarch already installed and latest versionPackage xorg-x11-fonts-truetype - 7.0-3.noarch already installed and latest version
Package bitmap-fonts - 0.3-5.1.noarch already installed and latest version
Package xorg-x11-twm - 1:1.0.1-1.2.i386 already installed and latest version
Package xorg-x11-apps - 1.0.1-2.i386 already installed and latest version
Package pirut - 1.0.1-1.noarch already installed and latest version
Package openssh-askpass - 4.3p2-4.i386 already installed and latest version
Package firstboot - 1.4.6-1.noarch already installed and latest version
Package system-config-display - 1.0.37-2.noarch already installed and latest version
Package freeglut - 2.4.0-4.i386 already installed and latest version
Package gdm - 1:2.14.0-1.i386 already installed and latest version
Package rhgb - 0.16.3-1.i386 already installed and latest version
Package synaptics - 0.14.4-4.2.1.i386 already installed and latest version
Package krb5-auth-dialog - 0.6.cvs20060212-1.i386 already installed and latest version
Package system-config-soundcard - 1.2.16-2.noarch already installed and latest version
Package xterm - 211-1.FC5.i386 already installed and latest version
Package linuxwacom - 0.7.2-1.2.i386 already installed and latest version
Package system-config-services - 0.9.0-1.noarch already installed and latest version
Package vnc-server - 4.1.1-36.i386 already installed and latest version
Package system-config-date - 1.8.2-1.noarch already installed and latest versionPackage glx-utils - 6.4.2-6.i386 already installed and latest version
Package system-config-printer-gui - 0.6.151-1.i386 already installed and latest version
Package authconfig-gtk - 5.2.3-1.i386 already installed and latest version
Package system-config-network - 1.3.30-2.1.noarch already installed and latest version
Package bitstream-vera-fonts - 1.10-5.1.noarch already installed and latest version
Package system-config-users - 1.2.42-1.noarch already installed and latest version
No packages in any requested group available to install or update

Here's more complete info on the error

checking whether a program can dlopen itself... (cached) yes
checking whether a statically linked program can dlopen itself... (cached) yes
appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool
checking getopt.h usability... yes
checking getopt.h presence... yes
checking for getopt.h... yes
checking for X... no
configure: error: "You must have X installed"

bob
3rd April 2006, 02:15 AM
Eric, before going through all that, I hope you've tried to find the program in yum and done a search for the program name with the term "rpm", just in case there's a .rpm version that will fix dependencies for you. RPM-Pbone is a great resource for finding those, plus it has a dependency checker right on the site.

eric_x
3rd April 2006, 02:16 AM
Eric, before going through all that, I hope you've tried to find the program in yum and done a search for the program name with the term "rpm", just in case there's a .rpm version that will fix dependencies for you. RPM-Pbone is a great resource for finding those, plus it has a dependency checker right on the site.
I found an RPM of X11, but it reported an error (because it's allready installed?)

bob
3rd April 2006, 02:21 AM
I meant a rpm version of the program you're trying to install that asks for 'X'. What one is that?

eric_x
3rd April 2006, 02:28 AM
Oh.. right. I believe I might have found one.. I'll post if it dosent work out.

eric_x
4th April 2006, 04:34 AM
Arg.. it says
"Missing Dependency: liblineak0 = 0.8.3 is needed by package lineak-devel
Missing Dependency: XFree86-devel is needed by package lineak-devel"

Where can I can those things?

And why is everything dependent on something else! (Which, in turn, is usualy dependent on another thing.. and another..)

Is there a way to get YUM do do this.. it cannot find the package currently. Yum solves all dependences..

bob
4th April 2006, 04:52 AM
Well, yes there is. If you type in 'man yum' , you'll see a whole list of options for yum, one of which is 'localinstall' where you change directory ('cd') to where the package is and then 'yum localinstall packagename'. You can also see if yum can find those dependencies by 'yum provides liblineak0'.

So, is XFree86-devel what you're trying to install or something else? Maybe we can help resolve this.

eric_x
5th April 2006, 01:26 AM
No, acctauly I'm trying to install linEAK and linEAK config on a Fedora Core 5 laptop (Compaq Presairo 1800).. I found some packages, but they were not for Fedora (?)

I read here: http://www.staticfreesoft.com/electricFAQC.html that my problem might be that configure might just have the wrong directory to look for X in.. whould would make sense, because I have it installed.. how would I go about this?

bob
5th April 2006, 01:43 AM
Here's a link to FC-4 versions, which MAY work for FC-5. http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=3&search=lineakd&srodzaj=3 When you select one, press the 'Check Requires' button and see if you've got any major problems. Another thing here: This is put out by ATRPMS and you should read this warning: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=94861

Christy
5th April 2006, 01:56 AM
No, acctauly I'm trying to install linEAK and linEAK config on a Fedora Core 5 laptop (Compaq Presairo 1800).. I found some packages, but they were not for Fedora (?)

I read here: http://www.staticfreesoft.com/electricFAQC.html that my problem might be that configure might just have the wrong directory to look for X in.. whould would make sense, because I have it installed.. how would I go about this?

I've tried installing lineak in FC5 and had no luck. It worked in 4. I think it has something to do with the new version of Xorg that FC5 uses, because when I tried compiling it, I got a message that I need to install X. (Might have gotten some info wrong....I'm not all that knowledgeful of Linux and its workings :))

edit: which apparently you got too, I just didn't read up high enough :). Haven't had time to investigate further though - it's the last week of classes and I have assignments coming out my ears...which I should get back to :rolleyes:

eric_x
5th April 2006, 03:36 AM
Hmm. Well, what if I told configure where X is located? Like, in the configure -help it says:

X features:
--x-includes=DIR X include files are in DIR
--x-libraries=DIR X library files are in DIR

Might that work? Where are the librarys and includes anyways? Beagle managed to delete all of it's indexes.. so I can't search. (Personaly, I liked the old search.. it just worked)

Christy
5th April 2006, 03:42 AM
Hmm. Well, what if I told configure where X is located? Like, in the configure -help it says:

X features:
--x-includes=DIR X include files are in DIR
--x-libraries=DIR X library files are in DIR

Might that work? Where are the librarys and includes anyways? Beagle managed to delete all of it's indexes.. so I can't search. (Personaly, I liked the old search.. it just worked)

It might. But from what I've heard, there are a lot of differences between the version of Xorg in FC4 and the version in FC5. I'm not sure, but I think the code for the program may need to be modified.

Christy
7th April 2006, 06:18 PM
I figured it out! you need to install libXt-devel (it'll install a bunch of dependencies too)

[root@localuser]# yum install libXt-devel

edit: I may have spoken too soon....get an error when I run make now. Working on it :)

Christy
7th April 2006, 06:59 PM
ok...so here's what I did....

[root@localuser]# yum install libXt-devel
(it does its thing)
[root@localuser]# yum install libxkbfile-devel
(it does its thing)
[root@localuser]# cd /usr/lib/
[root@localuser]# ln -s libXext.so.6.4.0 libXext.so
[root@localuser]# exit
[user@localuser]$ cd (the place where you have unpacked the lineakd files)
[user@localuser lineakd-0.8.4]$ ./configure
(it does its thing)
[user@localuser lineakd-0.8.4]$ make
(it does its thing)
[user@localuser lineakd-0.8.4]$ su -p (the p keeps the current path that you are in)
Password:
[root@localuser lineakd-0.8.4]# make install

chris_y2k_r1
8th April 2006, 12:15 AM
Ok - so what happens after you install it (make install)??

Christy
8th April 2006, 03:52 AM
it works...kind of....I'm not sure exactly what my current issue with it is, but I configured it as I had in FC4, but it isn't quite working. I'll keep hacking at it, but I can't until after Tuesday (school, exams and such are kind of getting in the way...)

for help with configuring it, see the readme file or http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64186

Christy
8th April 2006, 04:00 PM
it works...kind of....I'm not sure exactly what my current issue with it is, but I configured it as I had in FC4, but it isn't quite working. I'll keep hacking at it, but I can't until after Tuesday (school, exams and such are kind of getting in the way...)

for help with configuring it, see the readme file or http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64186

Never mind, it works! I'm not sure if restarting FC triggered something that wasn't working or not. To configure it I use the example in the forum thread I posted.

chris_y2k_r1
8th April 2006, 05:44 PM
Never mind, it works! I'm not sure if restarting FC triggered something that wasn't working or not. To configure it I use the example in the forum thread I posted.

Very cool - Rebooting is funny like that. In many cases, "It's not necessary" but it sure helps!! Haha!

:D

eric_x
8th April 2006, 06:57 PM
I got it installed, but I get an error:

(Lots of errors identical to this pop up)
*** Xlib error caught ***
Major opcode of failed request: 33 (XKEYBOARD)
Minor opcode of failed request: 0 (XkbSetMap)
Resource ID of failed request: 68
Serial number of failed request: 65
Error code: 10
Type: 0
Maybe we should exit now?

Also, I tried to install lineakconfig, but it reports "Segmentation Fault"?

chris_y2k_r1
8th April 2006, 07:04 PM
Hummm.... Segmentation Fault suggests that something is missing. In other words, there is a program/dependency that needs to be installed that is not. I hate these types of errors because the error information itself is very vague unless you know what the error code numbers mean. Sorry, I know that's not much help. Either a program is missing or cannot be found to be executed. That's been my expirience w/ segfaults.

Christy
8th April 2006, 07:15 PM
What all did you install? I found a reference to a similar error to what you got and the problem seemed to be an old version of a plugin. I've always only used only the lineakd package - have never added anything else. Also, how did you go about configuring it?