PDA

View Full Version : Yet another call for help on data recovery

Betialai
2nd April 2006, 06:47 PM
OK, before you say it... this is one of the dumbest things I've ever made but here I go.

I've been using FC since the very beggining, updating from a RH9 system with FC1. So there I was, using FC4 and decided to upgrade to FC5.

With FC4, I decided to make the big step and moving from a dual boot system to VMware to use my Windows 2K Pro.

Friday, I installed FC5. Yes, I did the update-any-any to configure VMware up again. No problem at all. I even moved from Workstation to Server with no problem. In order to comply with the VMware Server specifications, I moved my virtual machines from /home/myself/vmware to /var/lib/vmware

However, I did not feel comfortable under FC5 so I downgraded to FC4. Not being the first time that I move from one distro to another within FC, I have the /home mounted on another hd (I have three hds and one cdr) but I forgot to move the /var/lib/vmware back to /home/myself. Crap :(

I've lost unvaluable information that I would like to have back so I've done a little research and I've found three tools for Linux data recovery that run under Windows, so I've installed a new hda to run Windows, having the repartitioned hd installed as hdd.

According to the ammount of information that I wrote using FC5, the information I need to recover should not be phisically overwritten when I downgraded.

For the sake of completeness, the tools I'm using are R-Linux, Stellar Phoenix Linux and Quick Recovery Linux.

Anybody has faced similar problems, trying to recover information from repartitioned volumes? Any brilliant successful story out there that can guide me to follow the necessary steps in order to recover my information?

And most important... do I have a chance to recover the information? Not being dramatic but my near future depends on wether I'm able to recover that information or not.

bachtiar
2nd April 2006, 11:06 PM
The most important first step is - make a "dd" image of your disk and save it to a file somewhere. Don't write to it. Depending on what EXACTLY did you do, it may or may not be possible to get your data back.

daverj
3rd April 2006, 02:04 AM
I have no idea how the vmware stuff works since I don't use it, but if all you need to do is move directories around, can you boot up on a rescue disc, mount the appropriate partitions and go from there?

Dave

powereds
3rd April 2006, 03:35 AM
As ive known, data recovery on repartitioned volumes cannot be done once a new partition has been created.

For valuable data, it is important to have backups.

Omega Blue
3rd April 2006, 05:22 AM
Since it appears that you haven't repartitioned anything, can't you just mount that HDD ro with NTFS support to read the stuff on it?

Betialai
3rd April 2006, 06:53 AM
The most important first step is - make a "dd" image of your disk and save it to a file somewhere.

The disk is a ST3160021A so I need, at least, 160Gb somewhere else... time to buy another disk.

Depending on what EXACTLY did you do, it may or may not be possible to get your data back.

(...) data recovery on repartitioned volumes cannot be done once a new partition has been created.

Since it appears that you haven't repartitioned anything (...)

I did repartition the disk when downgrading to FC4. Although FC4 gave me the option to install on the already FC5 installation, I didn't find it was a good idea (since it was a downgrade) so I chose to install a new FC4 system. However, the schema was the same one as before. That is, a 103Mb hda1 ext2 for boot and the rest as hda2 ext3.

Quick Recovery Linux (http://www.unistal.com/quick_recovery_LINUX.html) presents me with up to 6 existing volumes instead of the existing 2 if I boot on ISO Linux. (More on this later)

R-Linux doesn't deal with ext3fs while Stellar Phoenix Linux doesn't recognize the already existing hda2.