PDA

View Full Version : authentication indicator has moved

terry_g
2nd April 2006, 05:57 PM
I was updating using yumex actually updating yumex. After the update a window opened and said yumex was not responding and gave me the option to "force quit"
Afterwards everything seemed normal except I have a window open on the taskbar and a very small window open in the top left corner of the screen. The taskbar says "authentication indicator" and when I open a application that asks for the root password the badge emblem opens on the little window that is at the top left corner and no longer appears on the taskbar in the notification area like it used to. I am running fedora core 4.
Can anyone tell me how to rectify this annoyance?? Thanks in advance Terry

terry_g
3rd April 2006, 01:24 PM
If I log out and back in as root I still have the authentication indicator.

terry_g
5th April 2006, 01:29 PM
Updated to a newer kernel and installed the nvidia kernel module. But the annoyance is still there.

terry_g
6th May 2006, 05:08 PM
I had reinstalled fedora core 4 into another hard drive and copied all the files over from the first one. I have not booted into the partition with the notification indicator problem for quite some time. I did this morning to check if there were any files that I needed as I was going to format the partition, I was suprised to see that the notification indicator was back where it was supposed to be. On the panel.
How did it fix itself?? Terry

TreasonX
6th August 2006, 07:35 PM
I too have this strange window whenever I kill it it will return. It only shows up in gnome, when i use kde I dont have this problem.. What the hell is this thing?

Its a blank window that says "Authentication Indicator" in the title bar

terry_g
7th August 2006, 04:55 PM
I recall seeing somthing similar in a book on redhat 7, the small window was later moved to the panel and became the keys icon if I remember correctly. Hopefully yours will correct itself too.

skipperse
17th August 2006, 05:46 PM
My "authentication indicator" has disapeared in fc5_64. How do I get it back ?
I tried to add a 'notification area' to the taskbar. That does not work.

Henk