PDA

View Full Version : Lost Windows

*desk*
2nd April 2006, 03:51 PM
Although I am not too bothered about losing Windows it would be good to know what has happened.
I produced two partitions on my IDE drive ........installed Windows on one partition and then installed FC5 on the other. When I rebooted Grub only displayed FC5. I would be very pleased if someone could explain why this has happened and what do I do about it?
Mant thanks
Des Kinsman

Alukardian
2nd April 2006, 04:51 PM
Have you tried putting windows into the grub configuration file?

This may be helpful a bit http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub-faq.html everything you ever wanted to know about grub.

herrib
2nd April 2006, 05:05 PM
Although I am not too bothered about losing Windows it would be good to know what has happened. I produced two partitions on my IDE drive ........installed Windows on one partition and then installed FC5 on the other. When I rebooted Grub only displayed FC5. I would be very pleased if someone could explain why this has happened and what do I do about it? Mant thanks Des Kinsman

By defaults, grub launches Fedora. A line is displayed for about 5 secondes and FC5, showing only one item. By pressing any key, you force Grub to display the whole menu, including "other" which is the title for Windows, if detectected during the install.

Would you try to press any key while Grub is displaying its line?

*desk*
2nd April 2006, 05:37 PM
Thank you
It happens so quick.
With only seeing Fedora on the first menu of Grub I assumed Windows was not there.
I've found Windows!.......now why should I celebrate that?
Thank you again
I have another problem which I'll put on another thread.