PDA

View Full Version : Building me a kernel

glennzo
31st March 2006, 03:33 AM
I've decided to play around with compiling a custom kernel. I've already done this twice in the last 2 days with no ill efects. Matter of fact, I'm using the newest one as I type this message. Seems as though my FC5 system is already much more responsive. Since I honestly have little clue what I'm diong, I wonder if anyone with experience can suggest modules that I can safely remove, things that aren't needed so that I can 'lighten the load'. This is fun!

ASUS P4V8X / Celeron D 2.8G / 512 Ram / Radeon 9200 - 128 Meg
Big hard drives using IDE/ATA / Noisy fans
4 speed tranny, 4 barrel carb, slicks, headers, the works.

LaKing
31st March 2006, 10:40 PM
I think u should look out for what u need, others dont know what u want ur kernel for.

I think i rebuilded a kernel for a floppy distro, u see there:
... Cannon LBX Printer module ...
and if u dont need printing, u just remove.

I am no expert tho, but i think u want to "customize" ...

sgjanssens[old]
31st March 2006, 10:52 PM
Nice to see you're having fun building your custom kernels. It's true: You should decide what to leave in and what to remove based on your own configuration. I'm running Slackware linux on a single laptop. Typically, I tend to remove SCSI support completely, as well as NFS and all filesystems except for ReiserFS.

Yet, under FC this last remark is probably quite bad, since I believe by default it uses ext3. And of course, if you use SCSI drives (or an USB pen!) you shouldn't remove SCSI either. Moreover, if you communicate with other unix-like machines on a network, you likely need to have NFS set up.

So, it depends too much on your particular situation to give tips in general. But you're right: Carefully reading through the options and being selective can really increase your performance. And be sure to have a working spare kernel at hand ;)

glennzo
1st April 2006, 12:41 AM
Spare kernels we have aplenty. I've been letting the kernel build process add the new kernel to my grub.conf and leaving the old ones there, so I know if I have trouble I can always boot into the older kernel and the system will be ok. I appreciate your responses and understand that it's hard for someone else to tell me what I need to leave in and what I can take out since you don't really know what hardware I have or what my requirements are. I was thinking along the lines of legacy support for one. Things that almost no one needs but are included in the kernel for compatibility reasons. I want to lean the kernel out as much as possible. I guess the best thing to do is to try different things, one or two at a time, and if I run into trouble then at least I don't have to figure out which one of those 47 changes I just made is the culprit. Who knows, maybe I'll become somewhat of a kernel building guru. Off we go.....