PDA

View Full Version : Changing Default on Music files?

mrnatch
30th March 2006, 08:53 PM
I just switched from FC4 to FC5 and haven't been able to get any internet radio stations to play. Installed RealPlayer10Gold.rpm. When I try to open a station I get a window saying"Open with" MOVIE PLAYER (default). OK or Cancel. I want to change the default to RealPlayer for all internet radio. I'm new to Linux and Fedora Core so haven't been able to figure this one out. Help would be much appreciated! :confused:

Tashiro
30th March 2006, 09:06 PM
Moved to General Support.

Tashiro

mrnatch
30th March 2006, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the help.

Firewing1
30th March 2006, 11:20 PM
1) Right-click a file and select the "Open With" submenu. Is "Realplayer" there?
2a) If it is, then right-click the file (again), select "Properties". Under "Open With" choose the new app.
2b) If RealPlayer isn't under that menu when you right-click, then hit "Open With..." and choose RealPlayer. Then do step 2a.
3) Close all windows, then try opening the file. It should work now.
BTW, you can check out totem-xine in FC5 (http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=100206) to get totem-xine which will play internet videos, streams (i think?), movies, DVD's, and more.
Firewing1

le_random
31st March 2006, 12:38 AM
I've had a few problems with realplayer 10 on this new FC5 installation - It's stubbornly refused to get a menu entry - I don't know if this is a GNOME or FC5 problem.

Anyway, when you right click, go to "Open With", and "Open with another application". If Realplayer isn't in the list, select "Custom Command" at the bottom of the dialog, and type realplay. The file should open in realplayer.

If that worked, to make files of this type open consistently in realplayer, right click the file, go to "Properties", and choose the "Open With" tab. If realplayer is not in the list, add it using the "Add" button, chosing custom command if necessary. Then select the radio button next to realplayer. GNOME should now open all files with that filetype in realplayer.

Also note, I think there has been a change in the supported sound architecture in FC5, so you may need to delete a hidden file called ".realplayerrc" from your home folder before running realplayer for the first time. If you are behind a proxy, you will need to set this up in realplayer again.

mrnatch
4th April 2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks to Firewing1 and le_random. RealPlayer is working. Now if I could get this Epson printer working I'll be jamming.

Firewing1
4th April 2006, 10:02 PM
What's the model?
Firewing1

mrnatch
4th April 2006, 10:22 PM
Epson Stylus CX3810. I think I need drivers and found gutenprint 5.0.0 at sourceforge.net. They listed my printer (just printing capability not scanning but that's cool). Choice between a ".dmg" or ".tar.bz2", wasn't sure which to get and what to do with them. Thanks for the help w/ realplayer listening to WREK right now, way cool!

Firewing1
4th April 2006, 10:58 PM
Yup -- http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_driver.cgi?driver=gutenprint&fromprinter=Epson-Stylus_CX3810
oh, you'll want the bz2 format.
Firewing1

mrnatch
4th April 2006, 11:14 PM
It wants to extract in tmp folder, that alright?

Firewing1
4th April 2006, 11:26 PM
no -- Do Desktop
do you know basic terminal commands?
Firewing1

mrnatch
5th April 2006, 12:56 AM
Sort of, but I can follow directions, Gutenprint 5.0.0-rc2 is on/in Desktop.