PDA

View Full Version : Deep searching with FileBrowser Search

Bl4deRunner
30th March 2006, 01:10 PM
Hi,

I noticed the following:
When I want to preform a search-command with FC5's File Browser, it'll ONLY look in the current folder it's in, and not in the subfolders.

See picture. I have a test.txt file on my desktop.
When I try to search for it from / it's not able to find it... because it's not looking in subdirs.

What am I doing wrong? :confused:

Thanks

Jman
31st March 2006, 05:17 AM
You may want to install beagle, let it index your stuff, and run beagle-search instead.

corsair2056
31st March 2006, 06:00 AM
Install nautilus-search-tool
yum install nautilus-search-tool

Then right click in nautilus--> search for files. From there you can set any other search options you like
Beagle cannot replace this.

Alternative (recommended): Study the man page of the command line utility find
man find

Bl4deRunner
31st March 2006, 06:56 AM
Thanks. I'm trying to get the Nautilus search-tool to work.

The nautilus search-tool was already installed. I did a 'yum install nautilus-search-tool' to make sure the latest version is installed, but still it doesn't search in the subfolders.

- Nautilus is opened
- current location is \ (file I'm searching for is in \tmp\test.txt)
- the right click mouse-menu doesn't have the 'search for file' option. Instead I use the 'Search' button on top (or ctrl+f)
- typing: test.txt

doesn't find the file

corsair2056
31st March 2006, 10:01 AM
If nautilus-search-tool is installed, then it should appear when you right-click in the directory (the white space) in nautilus and it should report results from subdirectories too (options for symlinks, hidden files etc can be defined too). If you just installed it, consider doing a logoff/login.

When you press a Ctrl-F or press the button you mentioned, then the search bar appears and you can filter (aka search) the contents of ther current directory.

Hope these help. There are many ways to search for files, gnome-search-tool, beagle, updatedb/locate (cli), find (cli), to mention some of them and at least all of these work well.