PDA

View Full Version : X does not start properly without a network connection

jeszy
30th March 2006, 07:42 AM
Hello,

I have just installed Fedora Core 5. Everything works fine except the following.

If I boot the computer when it is not connected to the network the X server does not start properly. I get only a blank black screen and a few minutes later a text mode console.

Then pressing Ctrl + Alt + F7 I get a working KDM, but when I try to login nothing happens. If I connect the computer to the network then immediately everything goes fine.

There is no problem If I boot the computer when it is connected to the network.

It seems to me that X will not start without a network connection. Why?

Any idea what is wrong?

Best regards,

Peter

giulix
30th March 2006, 08:22 AM
Make sure your loopback interface is up and that you have this in your /etc/hosts file:

# Do not remove the following line, or various programs
# that require network functionality will fail.
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

jeszy
30th March 2006, 09:01 AM
Thank you very much. That line was missing from my /etc/hosts file.

Now I use the above /etc/hosts file but nothing changes, still there is no X after reboot.

giulix
30th March 2006, 01:06 PM
Make sure also your loopback interface (lo) is up: you can check this with

/sbin/ifconfig -a

Also check you X log file for any errors

grep "(EE)" /var/log/Xorg.0.log

jeszy
30th March 2006, 02:22 PM
As a quick solution I have reinstalled the operating system. Now everything works fine.

Adding that line to /etc/sysconfig and restarting the network there was nothing wrong with the lo device according to the ifconfig program.

When the error occured first I immediately checked the log files and there were no error messages.

I still do not understand what happedened. Maybe I had changed the network settings by chance.

Best rgeards,

Peter