PDA

View Full Version : yum problems!!!plz help

spantree
30th March 2006, 03:15 AM
I've got this yum update error,
as followed

[root@localhost hao]# yum -y install compat-libstdc++-33 Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
core [1/4]
updates [2/4]
freshrpms [3/4]
http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/5/i386/freshrpms/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 12] Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>
Trying other mirror.
Cannot open/read repomd.xml file for repository: freshrpms
failure: repodata/repomd.xml from freshrpms: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.Error: failure: repodata/repomd.xml from freshrpms: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.

spantree
30th March 2006, 03:16 AM
anyone else got this problem?

bob
30th March 2006, 04:31 AM
Well that can happen if the repository is temporarily down or real busy. Give it a break and if it's still causing problems in a day post back and we can see about giving you some alternative repositories to try (dries, for instance).

Firewing1
30th March 2006, 04:39 AM
Yes -- Try waiting a day or two. For now, you can skip using that repo so the rest works using:
yum --disablerepo=alias [ update | install | remove ] [packagename1, packagename2]
Basically that translates to in this situation:

yum --disablerepo=freshrpms update packageor whatever you're doing.
FYI -- On my system freshrpms is working fine, maybe it's back up. Try again.
Firewing1

jjordan2004
30th March 2006, 04:57 AM
i am getting an error with yum as well.

Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running. Aborting.

anyone have any suggestions/

bob
30th March 2006, 04:59 AM
Jjordan2004, just reboot and kill it.

Firewing1
30th March 2006, 02:33 PM
i am getting an error with yum as well.

Existing lock /var/run/yum.pid: another copy is running. Aborting.

anyone have any suggestions/
if
ps -A | grep yum
shows nothing, do:

su -
rm -drf /var/run/yum.pid
and try again.
Firewing1

bob
30th March 2006, 02:39 PM
Yeah...right....what he said. (Jeez, will I EVER get over those 'Windows' fixes?) :p

Firewing1
30th March 2006, 10:45 PM
Yeah...right....what he said. (Jeez, will I EVER get over those 'Windows' fixes?) :p
:p lol...
Basically, to prevent multiple instances of Yum running at once (this can cause major problems), the developers implemented this system where at startup "$ yum" command creates a .pid file shown above. At the end, it removes it. Also, when starting "$ yum", it checks if this .pid file exists. If it does, you therefore know Yum is already running.

Although, in a glitchy situation like yours if you killed it or it glitched, then that .pid file isn't removed and Yum will refuse to run. "$ ps -A | grep yum" makes sure it's not running if nothing shows up, and so if nothing goes you know it's safe to remove the .pid with the "$ rm ..." command.
Firewing1

tomcat
30th March 2006, 11:22 PM
Firewing, you definitely deserve the "friendly-geek-that-everybody-needs" medal. You really are a big and "userfriendly" "piece" of Linux knowledge. :)

spantree
31st March 2006, 01:09 PM
Firewing, you definitely deserve the "friendly-geek-that-everybody-needs" medal. You really are a big and "userfriendly" "piece" of Linux knowledge. :)
strongly agree!!!

I just found when stopped using freshrpm, and switch to livna, my could actually starting using repos, thogh it is extremly slow, but at least do some work.
Strange thing is I can use freshrpms at work but just not at home.
Is there some sort of blocking ports from my ISP?
I'm using BT broadband at home, anyone from UK has same problem?

Firewing1
31st March 2006, 11:05 PM
That's an odd one -- Are you using a proxy? If you wanna disable FreshRPMS then just add
enabled=0to it's freshrpms.repo in /etc/yum.repo.d, and you're off. If you wanna temproarily enable it, add the
--enablerepo=freshrpmsoption to your yum command.
Firewing1