PDA

View Full Version : Sama - cannot access home directory

essdeeay
30th March 2006, 12:15 AM
I've installed Samba on FC5 and configured it using Swat.

I can browse the network from my XP machine to the Samba server, and when I get there, I can see my home directory. However, when I try to enter it, I'm being asked for a username/password which isn't being accepted. No errors are being written to the samba log files when this happens.

What I've done:

cat /etc/passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh > /etc/samba/smbpasswd
smbpasswd <my_user>
And here is my smb.conf:

[global]
server string = Samba Server
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
dns proxy = No
ldap ssl = no
[homes]
comment = Home Directories
valid users = users
read only = No
browseable = NoMy smbpasswd and Unix passwd are the same. I've read help files, searched high and low but do not know what is wrong. Can anyone help please?

Many thanks,
Steve :)

Zigzagcom
30th March 2006, 12:32 AM
Have you tried to connect to the samba share from the winbox with:

Start-->Run-->\\hostname.or.IPaddress

http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/sambaserver.shtml

essdeeay
31st March 2006, 12:00 AM
Thanks, I already tried this and it's the same. I can access the server and see my home share and the printers share - I can even enter the printers share, but I get an error mesage when I try to enter my home share. The error is:
\\fedora\sa is not accessible. You might nor have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. The network path was not found.I created a new Unix user called sa using useradd -G users -m sa, and added the smbuser using smbpasswd -a sa and set the same password.

This is my smb.conf:
[global]
server string = Samba Server
log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
max log size = 50
socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
[homes]
comment = Home Directories
read only = No
browseable = NoIncidentally, I have the same config file on my Gentoo box and another XP workstation can successfully connect, so I'm stumped here.

Any more ideas?
Steve :(