PDA

View Full Version : FC5/systemsetting/display freeze

Daniel114
29th March 2006, 12:58 PM
Hello,

Im new to Linux so please bare with me. After trouble with the kudzu on boot (disabling) and resizing my 15" tft monitor to its preffered 1024x768 resolution I've still found that when trying to access the 'display' option I'm still experiencing a freeze. My graphics card is an ati radeon x800 gto.

Has anyone found a way yet to

a, open display options without freeze?
b, install drivers for ati cards successfully?

Sorry what I'm assuming are incredibly noobish questions, any help would be much appreciated

thankyou, daniel

whoopn
29th March 2006, 03:25 PM
i have this exact same problem...i have a radeon x850 xt though....amazing part is that it detects and installs for the graphics card just fine! but it wont detect my monitor...so i've got a 19" monitor running 800x600 (suck!)

If I find anything (i am submitting a bug report now) i'll let you know!

Daniel114
29th March 2006, 03:30 PM
Hey thanks for that, I cant tell if its found my graphics card, I know on install it says found ati card but doesnt know what type/version it is, im assuming fedora installs its own 'base' ati graphics drivers

whoopn
29th March 2006, 10:57 PM
Go into your xorg.conf file (/etc/x11) and goto the monitor part: should kinda look like this:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "ViewSonic"
ModelName "A90f+"
### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
HorizSync 30 - 86
VertRefresh 50.0 - 150
Option "dpms"
EndSection
These are for my monitor, change them according to the specs given on your monitor, note that horizontal sync is in kHz already so you dont enter in something like 52000 should it be listed as 52kHz (just saying cuz i was confused a little at first).

Next go to the screen section (should look like this:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 16
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 16
Modes "1600x1200" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Under modes, add the resolution you want, following their pattern <#>x<#>.

Hope it all works out, feel free to message me should you have another question regarding display stuff....

Daniel114
30th March 2006, 11:30 AM
Hey, glad you figured that out, I'll try it when I get home,

any luck with the display options tab? Im specifically looking to see what it says in there with regard to the hardware it has picked up

whoopn
30th March 2006, 07:12 PM
The display tab is messed up period for me, that I think is due to kudzu being a piece of crap in FC5. As for the hardware picked up (you said you had a radeon x800 series) x11.conf will tell you what it picked up if it picked it up at all.