PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a kernel-compilation howto

Stone Dragon
29th March 2006, 05:32 AM
Where can I find an easy step-by-step howto to compile a fedora-kernel on FC5? I only was able to install kernel-devel (which are only the header files).
I'm able to construct a vanilla-kernel, but Fedora sources are patched and making a package integrated with initrd would be very cool (like in ubuntu for example).

smfinley
29th March 2006, 05:38 AM
http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/mjm-kernel-fc4.html works for fc5.

Stone Dragon
29th March 2006, 06:27 AM
Hmm...thanks, but as I said, I know how to compile a kernel itself. I need a howto compile and package a fedora kernel (so I can use my own rpm with kernel, initrd and grub-entry etc. later on new installs)

vnpenguin
29th March 2006, 07:58 AM
Hmm...thanks, but as I said, I know how to compile a kernel itself. I need a howto compile and package a fedora kernel (so I can use my own rpm with kernel, initrd and grub-entry etc. later on new installs)
Have a look at source package (kernel-*.src.rpm). Install it with "rpm -ivh" command and play with spec file. By this way you could add/remove patches, change config file,...
Finally, do "rpmbuild -bb specfile" to make rpm.

Stone Dragon
30th March 2006, 05:49 AM
Thanks, but I'm not even able to get kernel-WHATEVER.src.rpm through yum, yumex etc. even with the source-repos enabled.