PDA

View Full Version : how do I set up remote access in FC5

bubazoo
29th March 2006, 03:47 AM
can someone, post instruction on how to setup vnc in FC5?

I want to be able to access my FC5 machine, using another machine in Windows, and I don't know how to do it?

either VNC, or freenx, either one will work, but I just want to be able to access the FC5 machine remotely from a windows box. (within my local LAN of course)

I first tried to yum vnc vnc-server, but then I couldn't figure out how to access the server from the Windows side? so someone on the #Fedora IRC channel suggested I install
FreeNX, so I followed the instructions on this page (http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/) but I had trouble getting the NX client for Windows to connect to the FC5 machine, kept giving me errors connecting, because I couldn't get the
nx-1.5.0-4.FC5.1.i386.rpm file to work, some kind of compatibility error,
and the nx file for FC4 did not work (missing dependencies)

so I am just wondering if anyone knows how to get remote access to work in FC5?

thanks

pparks1
29th March 2006, 04:01 AM
Until the packages are avaiable for FC5, you might have trouble getting FreeNX to work (which is my method with my FC4 box).

As far as VNC goes, navigate to /etc/sysconfig/vncserver
VNCSERVERS="1:username"

Then, logon as the username above
vncpasswd

Logon as root,
edit /home/user/.vnc/xstart
uncomment
unset SESSION_MANAGER
exec /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

service vncserver start
Modify /etc/sysconfig/iptables
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 5901 -j ACCEPT

Then restart iptables
service iptables restart

Download the VNC application for Windows from www.tightvnc.com
run setup.exe and install

Connect to the VNC Server
connect to server:1
supply your session password

You should have your desktop and everything should be working at this point.

Flu
29th March 2006, 12:55 PM
I've built new FreeNX RPMs using the final release of FC5. They are available for download here (http://files.thelinuxpimp.com) Note that the "nxclient" portion of the RPMs is currently disabled due to issues with the modular xorg included with FC5, but you should be able to at least connect to your FC5 box running the nxserver.

For instance, I was able to use the nomachine Windows client to connect to my FC5 box after installing the RPMs I built above.

Hopefully Rick Stout, the original packager, will be able to provide us with fully functional FC5 RPMs in the near future.

bubazoo
29th March 2006, 10:12 PM
cool thanks Flu

yeah FreeNX is my preferred method also, I just thought I didn't have a choice but to use vnc for now.

bubazoo
2nd April 2006, 09:34 PM
well, I still can't get FreeNX to work even with those rpm's, on the client side Flu

here is my log from the client side

XPROXY - Version 1.5.0

Copyright (C) 2001, 2005 NoMachine.
See http://www.nomachine.com/ for more information.

Info: Proxy running in client mode with pid '992'.
Info: Connecting to remote host 'tcoburn.us:5000'.
Info: Aborting the procedure due to signal '15', 'SIGTERM'.

am I supposed to open port 5000 on my router or something?