PDA

View Full Version : FC5: CPU 100% with Gecko based browsers (multi tabs)

Chi*a
28th March 2006, 11:25 PM
A little help on an interesting issue that prevents internet connection and locks CPU at 100%.

It appears that surfing the web using multiple tabs with any Gecko based rendering browser (Firefox, Mozilla, Epiphany) locks the CPU at 100%. It looks like X CPU usage doubles (from about 20% to over 40%) the browser takes another 30-40% and other critical processes take the remaining CPU. This is all happening with beagle indexing turned off.

The main issues (other than overworking a 2.4 CPU) is that the PC is connected to the internet via a WinModem (Lucent using the new martian driver) and as it needs CPU to process the connection the transfer rate hits 0kb/s. So essentially these browsers can not be used to browse the web (I use tabs a lot).

Funny thing is that Konqueor and Opera (yes I had to download another browser - hate that) do not display this issue (CPU never rarely hits over 50% let alone lock up).

Actions to date:
Turned off beagle
Updated beagle + libs
Updated kernel 2.6.16 (in case it had something to do with GPL issue with 2.6.15)

Can anyone else shed some light on this one? :confused: I would really like Firefox back (I had no idea I had become so attached).

Otherwise FC5 is rocking along quite nicely. ;)

cheers

Firewing1
28th March 2006, 11:27 PM
What pages are you viewing? I see similar results sometimes when it's opening many pages at once, esp. if they contain flash / java applications. I'm on a P4 1.9GHz.
Firewing1

Chi*a
28th March 2006, 11:54 PM
Hi Firewing1

It seems to occur irrespective of web content. The usual sites that are tabbed are python.org, fedoraproject.org, google (mainly text & css I think). Normally occurs with only a few (no more than 6) tabs open (usually about 3).

This behaviour does seem strange.

thanks
Chi*a

Firewing1
29th March 2006, 12:14 AM
Hmmm.... Any plugins / extensions installed? I noticed, for example, tabmix I think the name is slows Firefox down like crazy. Disabled it's session manager and all is well
Firewing1

Chi*a
29th March 2006, 12:37 AM
Thanks Firewing

Not at the PC right at the moment. Will check the plugins/extensions. When I get home.

What I can say for sure at the moment is that it is just a standard install of firefox.

Many thanks for you help thus far

Chi*a
29th March 2006, 09:09 PM
OK

Any other ideas out there? Turning off all extensions (and only having default plugins) has not helped the issue. Anyone else with this one?

Next try: will be to compile Firefox from source to see if that works.