PDA

View Full Version : Kudzu doesn't detect NIC

micklean
28th March 2006, 10:14 PM
NIC not found - 03/27/06 - 5: EST

Hi Folks!

Just installed a Linksys PCI NIC (my Windoze XP box id's it as a "DE-530+" card and works fine with it.) in my box (see end of file for specs on "box") and It's not being "seen" by the opsys or Kudzu. It is an older card that has both a BCN and a RG-45. The motherboard has its own RG-45 built in which is used to connect to the 'net via a broadband cable box. The Linksys card is being used for a LAN via the coax connector.

Kudszu is listed as a running service on startup but if a driver for a device is not in its database I would expect some kind of error message, shouldn't I? How do I find out where Kudzu starts so I can check the default startup parameters? Maybe it's running in "quiet" mode?

I've got a couple of these cards so I'll try them all.

Thanx
Mick

HARDWARE for micklean

NOTE: This is a new installation of Fedora 4 ver 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp with no "dual-boot".

ASUS P4V8X-MX motherboard
500 watt power supply
Pentium P4 @ 3.00 gigs w/Hyperthreading
1 Gig (2 x 512) Kingston memory
On-board VGA
2X western Digital 37 gig, 10000 rpm HD's - Hardware RAID 1 configured
HP 740 8gig DVD/CD
1 "Floppy" drive

lvanek
29th March 2006, 04:33 PM
This may or may not help but I had an oddity happen after a shutdown & reboot (hardware maintenance) of my FC5 system that had been running fine for several days. Upon reboot FC5 failed to find the NIC mapped to eth0, device connected to outside world. This is an older 3com card that was detected during the orignial install. My other NIC is a linksys card serving my home network which was still found on the second boot.

I would check /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/eth*** to see what you have (Im not at my Linux box at the moment). I found that the file for my problem child NIC had been changed on reboot. It was missing the hardware address (MAC). Fortunately it saved the old file. After editing the file & restarting the network (services network restart) I was back in business.

Hope this might be relevant for your FC4 system.

micklean
31st March 2006, 09:59 PM
Hi Ivanek!

Thanks for the suggestion but what it turns out to be is that Linksys doesn't have drivers for Linux for its "legacy" cards (this is a "combo" card with an RG-45 and a BCN connector.) This is a fresh install of Fedora 4.x and as far as Linux is concerned - the card doesn't exist.

I pulled another old card from a computer that used to be our old server running RH 7.01 and it was recognized and configured properly.

Later
Mick