PDA

View Full Version : No Internet in FC 5

Red Knuckles
28th March 2006, 09:21 PM
I'm having a frustrating time with FC5 but thanks to you all I'm learning as well. Currently I can boot into FC5 but it is MEGA slow, 8-9 minutes. I have no internet access in Firefox or in terminal though when I run 'ifconfig' it does list my IP address and all the appropriate info. This seems odd as I did not have any such problem in FC3 or FC4. When I run 'service network start' I get this error:

Bringing up loopback interface:
Bringing up interface eth0:
Determining IP information for eth0...dhclient[1569] is already running - exiting..
exiting.
failed.

When I run 'yum -y update' I get this error:

Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
core
Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo:core
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo:core

I had a similar problem in Suse 10.0 which I solved by using 'Yast>Network Devices>Network Card>Edit>Advanced>Hardware Details' and changing the line 'Module Name' from 'tulip' to 'dmfe'. This because Suse had a problem with my Davicom Tulip Ethernet Card. I haven't found a comparable fix in FC5 yet.

Also my /etc/hosts file:

#Do not remove the following line, or various programs
#that require network functionality will fail.
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

:eek: :confused:

bastian_knight
29th March 2006, 12:06 PM
I think it might be bug: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=186592

If you remove 'nisplus' from line starting with 'hosts' in file /etc/nsswitch.conf it should help.

Red Knuckles
29th March 2006, 05:51 PM
I think it might be bug: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=186592

If you remove 'nisplus' from line starting with 'hosts' in file /etc/nsswitch.conf it should help.

I removed 'nisplus' from line starting with '#hosts' in /etc/nsswitch.conf. That didn't help. There are other lines with 'nisplus' but as of now I haven't touched them. I am a noob and don't really understand the jargon of a Bugzilla report but I'm going to try to communicate with them.

Red Knuckles
29th March 2006, 06:25 PM
Ok, upon further study I'm not expert enough to file a bug report. In my /etc/nsswitch.conf file or any file the # symbol means that line is commented out. Only the lines WITHOUT the # symbol are active. I think [remember newbie here]. The hosts line DID NOT have 'nisplus' in it to begin with so that was not my problem. Removing 'nisplus' from the #hosts line would have no effect. Or so I think.

ken
29th March 2006, 08:25 PM
You are right Red Knuckles, and I would like to second that I am having the exact same problem... If anybody has any suggestions or wants to know specifics, ask what you need to know.

Red Knuckles
30th March 2006, 05:06 PM
I used the gui to add a static IP address. >System>Network>Devices Tab>Edit and under Statically set IP Address Settings I entered [xx.xxx.xxx.xx represents my IP address]:

Address: xx.xxx.xxx.xx
Subnet Mask: 255.255.240.0
Default gateway address: 67.173.240.1

My routing table is:

Destination Gateway Genmask Flags MSS Window irtt Iface
67.173.250.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
169.254.0.0 0.0.0.0 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
0.0.0.0 67.173.250.0 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

At this point I almost have Internet. For instance I installed the weather applet in the Gnome panel and it now works! The NTP seems to work. Upon a reboot Firefox actually went to Goggle.com but then it wouldn't go anywhere else, 'server not found'.

When I try to run yum update I still get the same error as in my 1st post:

Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core

However if I run 'service network start' it starts [all ok's which IS a change from 1st post].

When I run 'dhclient' I get this error:

NO DHCPOFFERS received
No working lease in persistent database - sleeping

I also, somewhere in the process added this line to /etc/hosts:

xx.xxx.xxx.xx <localhostname> localhost

Let me know of anything to try or any info anyone thinks might help solve this problem.

Omega Blue
31st March 2006, 02:26 AM
How are you connected to the Internet? If you have cable modem or ADSL but you connect through a switch then you don't need DHCP. Just put in a static IP for your computer. 192.168.x.x usually works, but some switches may be different. Check the manual for details.

Red Knuckles
31st March 2006, 02:34 AM
How are you connected to the Internet? If you have cable modem or ADSL but you connect through a switch then you don't need DHCP. Just put in a static IP for your computer. 192.168.x.x usually works, but some switches may be different. Check the manual for details.

I'm not connected in FC5 but I am on the same box in Suse. I don't have a router. I have a cable modem but have lost the manual for it unless I can find it online. The cable modem is a D-Link Model No. DCM-201. Does this mean I go to FC 5 and open System>Network>Device tab>Edit and select 'uset Static IP' and enter "192.168.0.0' or '192.168.1.1'.
And haw to find what those last digits should be.

Omega Blue
31st March 2006, 02:40 AM
If you aren't connected through a switch (not a router, BTW), you need something like PPPoE running. Check your settings in SuSE. If you aren't sure, ask your ISP for more information.

If you need static IP and the 192.168.x.x is the right subnet, you can choose pretty much anything for the last two digits, except for 192.168.x.0, .x.254, and .x.255. Yeah, see if you can find the manual online.

Red Knuckles
31st March 2006, 03:07 AM
If you aren't connected through a switch (not a router, BTW), you need something like PPPoE running. Check your settings in SuSE. If you aren't sure, ask your ISP for more information.

If you need static IP and the 192.168.x.x is the right subnet, you can choose pretty much anything for the last two digits, except for 192.168.x.0, .x.254, and .x.255. Yeah, see if you can find the manual online.

As a noob I'm naturaly confused as to what goes where in setting up a static IP. In FC 5>System>network>Device tab>Edit it will ask for 3 entries:

Address: Is this my IP?
Subnetmask: Is this the 196.168.x.x. ?
Default Gateway: What if anything goes here?

Red Knuckles
31st March 2006, 04:40 AM
As a noob I'm naturaly confused as to what goes where in setting up a static IP. In FC 5>System>network>Device tab>Edit it will ask for 3 entries:

Address: Is this my IP?
Subnetmask: Is this the 196.168.x.x. ?
Default Gateway: What if anything goes here?

Ok, I talked on the phone to Comcast my ISP and they say they don't support static IP's only dynamic DHCP. I also spent some time on the phone with Mickeyboa. We went over everything and came to the conclusion that all my settings were correct for Internet access with DHCP and it is likely a driver problem for my Network card which is [from FC 5 /etcsysconfig/hwconf]:

class: NETWORK
bus: PCI
detached: 0
device: eth0
driver: dmfe
desc: "Davicom Semiconductor, Inc. 21x 4x DEC-Tulip compatible 0/100 Ethernet
network.hwaddr: 00:08:q1:14:05:65
vendorId: 1282
deviceId: 9102
SubVendorId: 4554
SubDeviceId: 434e
pciType: 1
pcidom: 0
pcibus: 1
pcidev: 7
pcifn: 0

For background I have run FC 3 and FC 4 on this same box without Internet access problems. Also on the same box which has Suse Installed I initially had an Internet access problem in Suse and had to change the driver from tulip to dmfe though I DID NOT have to do that in FC3&4 or Ubuntu. If you will note the above file lists the driver as dmfe [it is realtime file]. This is because upon install of FC 5 [and I'm at the 7th install trying to solve this problem] I changed that to see if it would work. When I try to change it back to tulip and check to see change has taken and then reboot it keeps going back to dmfe. I'm not understanding why it keeps going back to dmfe in spite of my wishes. These are some of reasons why Mickeyboa and I think this may be a driver problem.

Also worthy of not is that when I run 'netstat -rn' I don't get a line that under 'Iface' lo all are etho.Hmmm.... I need help!

Omega Blue
31st March 2006, 05:07 AM
Okay. Go into System > Administration > Network and set your network card to use DHCP. Save the changes. Deactivate and reactivate it again. Start a terminal and run "ifconfig" (needs to be root (su -)). What do you get for eth0?

Red Knuckles
31st March 2006, 09:25 PM
I checked the websites for Davicom and found no new drivers for my ethernet card.

For what it's worth I did as you suggested a web install using command 'linux askmethod' at boot prompt of CD 1. Then selected HTTP, DHCP, and:

Web site name: www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu
Fedora Core directory: /pub/fedora.redhat/linux/core/5/i386/os/

And got the result:

www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu is not a valid hostname.

Indicating that the problem is in the installer as well.

Mickeyboa and I went over this very throughly and determined that my FC 5 IS connected to the internet as determined by such commands as 'ifconfig', 'netstat -rn', '/etc/modprobe.config', '/sbin/ifconfig eth0', and '/sbin/lsmod'. We checked many other things as well. As far as '/etc/resolv.conf' DHCP WILL detect my Comcast DNS addresses. The problem seems to be that for some reason [most likely driver error] my ethernet card 'Davicom 21x4x DEC-Tulip compatible 10/100 Ethernet' card is not talking correctly to my modem 'D-Link DCM-201' resulting in name recognition problem. Remember this is on a box that connected to the net with no problem in FC 4 and has a Suse partition that is connected right now. :confused: :eek:

Red Knuckles
31st March 2006, 09:26 PM
Okay. Go into System > Administration > Network and set your network card to use DHCP. Save the changes. Deactivate and reactivate it again. Start a terminal and run "ifconfig" (needs to be root (su -)). What do you get for eth0?

Ok, I'll boot into FC 5 and get back with the results in a few.

Red Knuckles
31st March 2006, 11:12 PM

Allright... On the KDE Desktop that's System>Network Device Control>configure. Then I set DHCP on and then click 'deactivate' then 'activate' and next result is:

Determining IP information for eth0...PING 67.173.240.1[67.173.240.1] from xx.xxx.xxx.xx eth0:56[84] bytes of data.
---67.173.240.1 ping statistics---
10 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 9001ms
failed.

Then in root terminal I ran 'ifconfig' and there was no entry for eth0.

neilloffhagen
31st March 2006, 11:29 PM
This may seem strange but in my newly built FC5 I found that the NetworkManager was not started by default (it should be) for some reason. I was experiencing the same the type of problem - no interent connection despite having an IP etc, that were correct. As soon as I started the NetworkManager service the internet strang into life. Might be worth a check. You find it Sysatem > Administration > Services (need to put in your root password here) and then at the top of the list you should see NetworkManager. If you put the mouse over it and highlight it it will tell you if it's running or not. If it's not click then Start button just above it. Then click in the box next to NetworkManager and put a tick in it and click the Save button at the top of the Service window. That will get it to start up at boot time.

Hope this helps,

Neil.

Red Knuckles
1st April 2006, 02:37 AM
This may seem strange but in my newly built FC5 I found that the NetworkManager was not started by default (it should be) for some reason. I was experiencing the same the type of problem - no interent connection despite having an IP etc, that were correct. As soon as I started the NetworkManager service the internet strang into life. Might be worth a check. You find it Sysatem > Administration > Services (need to put in your root password here) and then at the top of the list you should see NetworkManager. If you put the mouse over it and highlight it it will tell you if it's running or not. If it's not click then Start button just above it. Then click in the box next to NetworkManager and put a tick in it and click the Save button at the top of the Service window. That will get it to start up at boot time.

Hope this helps,

Neil.

That didn't work for me. I just kept getting 'dhclient' allready running.

Omega Blue
1st April 2006, 05:49 AM
Allright... On the KDE Desktop that's System>Network Device Control>configure. Then I set DHCP on and then click 'deactivate' then 'activate' and next result is:

Ah, you are using KDE. Nothing wrong with that, though Fedora is really a Gnome distro.

Determining IP information for eth0...PING 67.173.240.1[67.173.240.1] from xx.xxx.xxx.xx eth0:56[84] bytes of data.
---67.173.240.1 ping statistics---
10 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 9001ms
failed.

Then in root terminal I ran 'ifconfig' and there was no entry for eth0.

D'oh.

Try lspci as root in a terminal to see if the system recognises your ethernet card.

Red Knuckles
2nd April 2006, 11:19 PM
It turned out to be a bug. I got this e-mail from Mickeyboa and it worked for me:

Goto the below site and download kernel-2.6.16-1.2080_FC5.i686.rpm , you may also download the kernel-devel-2.6.16-1.2080_FC5.i686.rpm , and using Suse and burn both packages from there onto a Cd
and boot up FC5 and copy the kernel to your home directory, then open terminal window, do SU and then
do a rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.16-1.2080_FC5.i686.rpm kernel-devel-2.6.16-1.2080_FC5.i686.rpm
Reboot and be sure it selects new kernel.
The ideal here is to see if possibly the new kernel update may have fixed your network (nic card) drivers.
The below site has all the FC5 updates you will be updating to.

http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/5/i386/

:D

Red Knuckles
3rd April 2006, 12:36 AM
It turned out to be a bug. I got this e-mail from Mickeyboa and it worked for me:

Goto the below site and download kernel-2.6.16-1.2080_FC5.i686.rpm , you may also download the kernel-devel-2.6.16-1.2080_FC5.i686.rpm , and using Suse and burn both packages from there onto a Cd
and boot up FC5 and copy the kernel to your home directory, then open terminal window, do SU and then
do a rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.16-1.2080_FC5.i686.rpm kernel-devel-2.6.16-1.2080_FC5.i686.rpm
Reboot and be sure it selects new kernel.
The ideal here is to see if possibly the new kernel update may have fixed your network (nic card) drivers.
The below site has all the FC5 updates you will be updating to.

http://mirror.linux.duke.edu/pub/fed...pdates/5/i386/

:D

Omega Blue
3rd April 2006, 02:21 AM
Cool. Glad to see it fixed.