PDA

View Full Version : evolution or thunderbird better with FC[3,4] machines and exchange server

icthy
28th March 2006, 08:50 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some opinions: Much of my mail comes from an exchange server on a university campus. On my FC3 laptop, I used to be able to VPN into the university, and then I could use thunderbird 1.5 to send email from there. Now I get "Unable to connect" messages (this problem started suspiciously close to when they updated the exchange server). I can read my email with IMAP no problem, but I can no longer send it. I don't see evolution offered in my yum repos, presumably becuase the version of gnome that runs with FC3 is now out of date(?).

I also have a FC4 box, on which I'm running evolution for mail, and it works fine with the exchange server. I don't even have to vpn in. But I'd like to have the same mail clients running on both machines, and I'd like to keep my local mail mirrored (presumably I can do this with rsync or unison). I also want both these boxes to be stable, for what it's worth.

So, I'm wondering if you think evolution or thunderbird is better for my needs, and should I:

1) Update my laptop to FC4 or FC5 (when things settle down), and install evolution on it.
2) Install evolution rpms on FC3 and try and get this version to work on the laptop. (Does evolution work on FC3?)
3) work harder to get thunderbird working with the exchange server (so far my posting on the mozilla forum hasn't produced any answers yet).
4) Drink more beer and not worry.

Jman
29th March 2006, 05:16 AM
Currently I'm using imap from an Exchange server via Thunderbird without too many problems.

evolution's still in the FC3 repo, it just never gets updated. See fedoralegacy.org for future updates.

If you want the additional features of evolution go with it.

Possibly you may need to check your smtp server if outgoing's giving you trouble. Mine only seems to work on the local network recently, possibly some counter junk mail measure.

icthy
29th March 2006, 03:13 PM
Thans Jman. Yeah, I can get mail through IMAP no problem....just can't seem to use the smtp server. Perhaps I'll update the laptop to FC4 or 5 and go with evolution.