PDA

View Full Version : getting the list of available updates

ticonzero
28th March 2006, 04:44 PM
dear all,

I would like to see on my desktop (or in the gnomebar) a service listing the available updates for Fedora marking and highlighting those concerning the security.

I was thinking at a script using "yum -check-update" but it doesn't show information about security

on fedoranews.org I can list the updates, through rss, and I get also the tag [security] but the rss readers for gdesklets give me a lot o errors :-(

also a small icon on the gnome bar would be enough...but the red hat network one isn't working anymore...any ideas?

thanks

linuxthuse
28th March 2006, 04:51 PM
If you want a system that is as secure as possible, keep everything up to date! It takes a relatively long time after the initial install to run a complete system update, but after that there are only a few updates a day. If you install yumex, the GUI front end to yum, it opens on the update tab and shows you what needs updating. There's some info in the install documentation on fedora.redhat.com about using yum with cron as well, I think.

linuxthuse
28th March 2006, 04:52 PM
Sorry, that may have sounded a bit patronising. Having reread your note, it looks like you want to update everything, but specifically see security updates because you are interested in those.

ticonzero
28th March 2006, 07:13 PM
having a complete system update is a good general rule but you cannot always apply it.
For example if You have a lot of applications running on a web server You cannot automatically update the system before verifying the compatibility of the changes with the applications (think at the impact of changing the php engine as an example)...

so it would be nice to highlight the [security] update and decide what to do...

anyway...any idea? :-)

thanks

linuxthuse
28th March 2006, 07:42 PM
Thanks for that. I learnt something. I was coming from the desktop perspective and replied to your post after posting to a couple of "newbie" questions and so my reply was a bit simplistic.

I'm afraid I don't have any ideas to solve your problem!