PDA

View Full Version : No login screen

Red Knuckles
28th March 2006, 03:50 AM
I've tried to install FC5 6 times and first it hangs up on 'starting sendmail'. I get past that by using 'I' for interactive when it tries to load and selecting everything EXCEPT 'sendmail'. Then I get the pages where I select the after install stuff including creating user and then select 'finish' then I get a blue screen with a mouse pointer which freezes. How to fix??? :confused:

Firewing1
28th March 2006, 03:55 AM
When GRUB (You see a "hit any hey to enter the menu") comes up, press any key to enter the menu
use the arrow keys to make sure the newest listing is selected, and then hit "e"
hit the "down" arrow key to select the "kernel /"... line, then hit "e"
at the end of that line, add the word
single
hit <enter>, then "b"
once you get to a prompt type:
chkconfig sendmail off
chkconfig gpm off
yum update -y
reboot
Firewing1

Red Knuckles
28th March 2006, 05:06 AM
When GRUB (You see a "hit any hey to enter the menu") comes up, press any key to enter the menu
use the arrow keys to make sure the newest listing is selected, and then hit "e"
hit the "down" arrow key to select the "kernel /"... line, then hit "e"
at the end of that line, add the word
single
hit <enter>, then "b"
once you get to a prompt type:
chkconfig sendmail off
chkconfig gpm off
yum update -y
reboot
Firewing1

I did that. At the point of running 'yum update -y' I got:

Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
core
Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core

I did get it to boot into FC5 but when I try to run 'yum update -y I get the same error. FC3 was the first Linux OS I ever used all be it on a different drive. FC5 has been like pulling hens's teeth. What am I doing wrong??? Or is there a bug??? I've used FC3 and FC4 without anything like this. :eek:

Firewing1
28th March 2006, 05:09 AM
Try doing the same thing but before doing "yum update" type:
service network start
Firewing1

Red Knuckles
28th March 2006, 05:59 AM
Try doing the same thing but before doing "yum update" type:
service network start
Firewing1

Ok, I did that and after running 'Service Network Start' I got:

Bringing up loopback interface"
Bringing up interface eth0:
Determining IP information for eth0...dhclient[1569] is already running - exiting
exiting.
failed.

Red Knuckles
28th March 2006, 06:06 AM
If I wish to edit my /etc/hosts in FC5 who or whom or what is 'localhost'??? :confused:

Red Knuckles
28th March 2006, 06:48 AM
I can't help but wonder when I in FC5 run 'gedit /etc/HOSTNAME' why that file is empty??? Bug ??? I'm a newbie but I have to wonder how a system can work without something in that file. My cheat sheet tells me it should have my hostname and my localdomain. Nothing appears to be a problem. As I've done nothing to change this file I wonder??? :confused:

Red Knuckles
28th March 2006, 06:50 AM
How do I file a bug report???

Omega Blue
28th March 2006, 07:21 AM
You don't necessarily have something in hostname. It's just there so you don't have to lookup stuff through DNS. In fact, there's no "etc/hostname" on this box, which is running FC4.

Firewing1
28th March 2006, 07:07 PM
1) 'localhost' = IP 127.0.0.1 = loopback. It's your own computer.
2) That's cause it's /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/hosts

su -
gedit /etc/sysconfig/network /etc/hosts
Firewing1

Red Knuckles
28th March 2006, 09:12 PM
1) 'localhost' = IP 127.0.0.1 = loopback. It's your own computer.
2) That's cause it's /etc/sysconfig/network and /etc/hosts

su -
gedit /etc/sysconfig/network /etc/hosts
Firewing1

I'm having a frustrating time with FC5 but thanks to you all I'm learning as well. Currently I can boot into FC5 but it is MEGA slow, 8-9 minutes. I have no internet access in Firefox or in terminal though when I run 'ifconfig' it does list my IP address and all the appropriate info. This seems odd as I did not have any such problem in FC3 or FC4. When I run 'service network start' I get this error:

Bringing up loopback interface:
Determining IP information for eth0...dhclient[1569] is already running - exiting..
exiting.
failed.

When I run 'yum -y update' I get this error:

Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Update Process
Setting up repositories
core
Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo:core
Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo:core

I had a similar problem in Suse 10.0 which I solved by using 'Yast>Network Devices>Network Card>Edit>Advanced>Hardware Details' and changing the line 'Module Name' from 'tulip' to 'dmfe'. This because Suse had a problem with my Davicom Tulip Ethernet Card. I haven't found a comparable fix in FC5 yet. :confused:

Also my /etc/hosts file:

#Do not remove the following line, or various programs
#that require network functionality will fail.
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

:eek: :confused:

Firewing1
28th March 2006, 10:44 PM
Try

su -
modprobe dmfe
service network restart
EDIT: You can use
vi /etc/sysconfig/hwconfto do the same: eg on my system I found a part
-
class: NETWORK
bus: PCI
detached: 0
device: eth0
driver: tulip
desc: "Linksys NC100 Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100"
network.hwaddr: 00:50:bf:a3:1a:29
vendorId: 1317
deviceId: 0985
subVendorId: 1113
subDeviceId: ec02
pciType: 1
pcidom: 0
pcibus: 2
pcidev: 9
pcifn: 0
-

my guess is change the

driver: tulip
to

driver: dmfe
and restart the computer. If you don't wanna use vi then try using a rescue CD like Knoppix.
Firewing1

Red Knuckles
28th March 2006, 11:25 PM
Thanks Firewing1. I ran:

su -
modprobe dmfe
service network restart

and got:

Shutting down interface eth0: [OK]
Shutting down loopback interface: [OK]
Bringing up loopback interface [OK]
Determining IP information for eth0...PING 67.173.240.1 [67.173.240.1] from xx.xxx.xxx.xx eth0: 56[84] bytes of data.
---67.173.240.1 ping statistics---10 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packagt loss, time9010ms
failed.
[Failed]

Now I'm gonna go back to Fedora and try to edit '/etc/sysconfig/hwconf'.

Red Knuckles
29th March 2006, 12:21 AM
That didn't change anything. The driver for ethernet card in /etc/sysconfig/hwconf was already set to dmfe [probably from running 'modprobe dmfe']. I still don't have internet access in FC 5. For what it's worth I timed some things to give an idea of how my FC 5 install is performing.

Reboot: 7min16sec
open terminal 1min1sec

This seems WAY slow and remember I've used FC3 and FC4. I have it set to auto login in 5 sec but it goes to -18sec for a total 23 sec to login ONLY.

Also for what it's worth, and I don't know why this should make any difference, here is my partition setup:

/dev/hda1 ext3 2GB
/dev/hda2 reseirfs 74GB Suse 10.0 OSS
/dev/hda3 ext3 73GB Ubuntu 5.10
/dev/hda4 extended
/dev/hda5 linux-swap 2GB
/dev/hda6 ext3 74GB FC 5
/dev/hda7 ext3 73GB Not currently used

I'm throwing this out because I don't understand why my FC 5 install [6th try] is being so stubborn. First it hung up on "Starting Sendmail" and then I had to work to even get a login screen. Now I can't get internet to work. I can't get my printer to work either. The error is something like 'service unavailable' when I try to print a CUPS test page in 'Printing Manager'. I had no problems with printer or internet in FC 3 or FC 4. :eek:

Firewing1
29th March 2006, 01:16 AM
It definetly shouldn't be taking that long. What CPU / mobo / chipset are you using?
Firewing1

Red Knuckles
29th March 2006, 02:19 AM
CPU: Intel[R] Pentium[R] 4 CPU 1.80GHz

How do I find mobo / chipset? I found CPU in Yast>Hardware Information IN Suse.

My box is a Dell 4500s. I replaced the original HD with a Western Digital 320GB IDE drive.