PDA

View Full Version : FC5 yum transaction test trouble

Omega Blue
28th March 2006, 03:33 AM
After upgrading my FC4 installation to FC5 I ran "yum -y upgrade."

The trouble is it has been taking a very long time and eating up a lot of memory. I looked for a newer version and there isn't any.

Supposedly it only needed to update 61 packages, install 5, and remove 8. It had installed way more (over 100) packages in the past and had no need to take this long.

Is this normal or is this a problem with this version of yum?

bob
28th March 2006, 04:28 AM
With all the downloads, updates and upgrades in the last few days I think it's simply a problem with the mirrors getting pushed to the limit. I know that after I did a fresh install and started to do updates, it was hit and miss on the speed and some repositories were just plain 'down'. This too shall pass!

Omega Blue
28th March 2006, 07:18 AM
Hi Bob!

I had no problems with downloading packages. ps showed that yum got stuck in something called "sync_p" (no idea what that is) when it was doing "transaction tests," which took place after downloading packages.

I rebooted the box and had no problems upgrading a single package (yumex). However a system-wide upgrade was again unsuccessful as yum got stuck again.

bob
28th March 2006, 03:30 PM
Yipes! No idea on that one either. Kind of between a rock and a hard place then? Personally, I'd grab my data and flush the entire thing in favor of a full install. Hopefully someone else will chip in a better idea though.

Omega Blue
30th March 2006, 03:13 AM
Clean reinstallation would be my last resort, coz there are like 20 computer here I need to upgrade. I am hoping this is an isolated issue... :/

Omega Blue
30th March 2006, 03:57 AM
Update: I managed to get yum updating my system by excluding the kernel-devel package. I hope this information is useful to someone. :)