PDA

View Full Version : FC4/FC5 unstable when hdd is too full?

pamount
28th March 2006, 03:02 AM
Hello

I've currently got Fedora Core 4 installed. A couple of weeks ago I managed to fill up my hard drive (i.e. I got an error message saying I was running out of space). I deleted the offending file and all was fine until the next time I went to boot up.

Basically it froze on boot up every time I tried to boot up and I later found that a couple of system files were missing. With my current level of experience with Fedora I just did a fresh re-install of Fedora Core 4 and all is fine now. I'm just carefully watching the space on the partition.

I've read somewhere else that Fedora doesn't like running out of space on the partition and it leads to trouble like I've had. Is this a problem with the file system (I'm using the default one)? Is this a problem that exists in Fedora Core 5?

Thanks

w5set
28th March 2006, 05:12 AM
It's a problem with any OS.
And yeah, even Linux likes a little space in the /tmp and /home (user directory) to write some files at login/boot.
Solution--use a larger partition, I usually use at least a 100 meg boot (and kinda want more with this new FC5 kernels now) and at least a 10 gig / partition (LVM) I like more like 20 gig min and am currantly running a 160 gig drive dedicated just for FC5 with the CD's/DVD's for 3 or 4 other distro's I am copying for a upcoming local Linux Install Feast.

pamount
29th March 2006, 01:09 PM
Thanks w5set

I'll look into what you've suggested

Jman
30th March 2006, 07:22 AM
And remember that the default filesystem reserves about 5% so that root can write something even if things are filling up.