PDA

View Full Version : ifconfig in FC5

cvcc12000
27th March 2006, 11:30 PM
just installed FC5 coming from SUSE10.In terminal cant find the ifconfig command.always get message saying command not found.I've logged in as root and still no luck.what directory is this command in?with SUSE I can run command from terminal in home directory.

axelseap
27th March 2006, 11:33 PM
u gotta load the root profile which contains the sbin dirs in it's path so either
su - or
/sbin/ifconfig

gotmonkey
10th April 2006, 10:01 PM
u gotta load the root profile which contains the sbin dirs in it's path so either
su - or
/sbin/ifconfig

I am in the boat. Fresh install of FC5. Ran su to get into root, ran /sbin/ifconfig, same error, command not found

thoughts?

pparks1
11th April 2006, 12:28 AM
you MISSED the DASH after the su.

Without the DASH, it does NOT load root's profile. And /sbin is not in a regular users profile.

When you put in the DASH, it loads root profile, which DOES include /sbin so typing commands like ifconfig will be found when the PATH is searched.

gotmonkey
11th April 2006, 11:59 AM
you MISSED the DASH after the su.

Without the DASH, it does NOT load root's profile. And /sbin is not in a regular users profile.

When you put in the DASH, it loads root profile, which DOES include /sbin so typing commands like ifconfig will be found when the PATH is searched.

thanks, that worked