PDA

View Full Version : Aliases for Sendmail

egurski
19th February 2004, 10:49 PM
Before upgrading to Fedora, I was using RH9. I had modified my aliases file so that any mail sent ot root would go to my e-mail account (fred@foo.com).

Since I upgraded, I have not been able to get this working. I have modified aliases and done the request newaliases, but I still do not get any messages. Is there something I'm missing in FC1?

BTW: I am able to send e-mail through Evolutiion under any of my other internet e-mail accounts

mhelios
20th February 2004, 11:05 AM
Does aliases work for local mailboxes? For example, if you send all of root's mail to your local user, does that work?

Are you running the sendmail or postfix MTAs?
If running postfix, check that in /etc/postfix/aliases, the root entry points to something other than postfix - suchas fred@foo.com. I just tested this and root's mail is being delivered correctly to my ISP email account.
Make sure the postfix service is running. Issue a /sbin/service postfix restart to be sure.

egurski
20th February 2004, 01:06 PM
I just checked and I am not using postfix. I know that under RH9 I did not have to do anything to get sendmail to work with the aliases. Perhaps I need to make changes to the sendmail.cf??????

mhelios
20th February 2004, 01:28 PM
Well, if you can easily switch to using the postfix service by going to Preferences -> More Preferences -> Mail Transport Agent Switcher

I'm not sure what config to change for sendmail, but postfix is easy enough to configure.