View Full Version : No sound in games and no 'clicking'

capo
26th March 2006, 02:28 AM
Specs:
FC5 fresh install
Latest alsa
AC97 CK804

The Situation:

So i install FC5, no sound fiddle with alsa for a while, still no sound, So i have been trying my headphones in all the differnt ports on my pc with all differnt configs when i happen to hear some static when in this config:

Headphones pluged into: line in (weriod huh!!)
Alsa: everything on, surround set to 'shared', and chanels set to '6'

I now have sound from some applications (like gaim) and media players like amarock etc. And i can also play the test sound, an dit comes out correctly, first in my right ear, then left, the both equaly (center)

However i dont have any 'clicking sounds' when navigating with firefox or konqueror. And no sound AT ALL in Wolf:ET. Does anyone know whats going on?

NOTE: when i say, so install FC5, i previously had FC4 with NO SOUND AT ALL, could NOT get it to work with FC4, and this is not an 'upgrade' i reformatted.

capo
27th March 2006, 12:53 AM
so has anyone else experienced this, should i try to instasll the nvidia chipset and sound drivers?

Jman
28th March 2006, 06:27 AM
The fact that Gaim and media players work suggests that new drivers won't help much.

For what it's worth, I've never heard a clicking sound in Firefox on Linux, Macintosh OSX, or Windows.

Check the audio preferences for Wolf, see if the device is configurable. I bet it is not using alsa. I thought the oss compatibility mode was mixed (so Gaim in the background won't steal the device) but I don't know.

capo
28th March 2006, 11:25 AM
I just relized that ET prints a log in the console u start it fomr while it's starting and running:

------- sound initialization -------
/dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
Could not open /dev/dsp
------------------------------------
Sound memory manager started
Sys_LoadDll(/home/capo/.etwolf/etmain/ui.mp.i386.so)...
Sys_LoadDll(/home/capo/.etwolf/etmain/ui.mp.i386.so) failed:
"/home/capo/.etwolf/etmain/ui.mp.i386.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
Sys_LoadDll(/usr/local/games/enemy-territory/etmain/ui.mp.i386.so)... ok
Sys_LoadDll(ui) found **vmMain** at 0xee893f40
Sys_LoadDll(ui) succeeded!

Thats the relevent bit:

I cd to /dev and discovered dsp did exist, so i chmoded it to give rwx to all just incase but it didn't change anything.

Where do i go from here? What does it mean by busy, i mena ot says that even if i have closed all other apps that could make sound.

capo
28th March 2006, 11:31 AM
Ok made some progress.. i think, i went

menu->multimedia->more apps->arts controll tool
then
View->arts staus

and it says this

"artsd is not configured for real time schedualing or was manualy started without artswrapper"
"the arts sound daemon is suspended. legacy apps can use the sound card now"

whats arts and do i want it on or off?

capo
28th March 2006, 11:33 AM
Ohh and how do you edit, i was gonna add this to my last post but i dotn know how to edit:

after opening the arts status the et debug readout now says:

/dev/dsp: Input/output error
Could not mmap /dev/dsp

EDIT: found edit, man that things tiny!

Jman
29th March 2006, 01:30 AM
arts is a sound server, mostly to mix sounds from different sources. ET seems to be using the sound device directly like the old oss system did. I believe if you disable arts and run it it won't be busy any more.

tready
29th March 2006, 10:16 PM
capo: when you say ET are you refering to Enemy Territory? Cause I can't get sound to work on teamspeak and ET at same time...have you had this problem?? Let me know. I don't want to go back to windows.

capo
31st March 2006, 07:59 AM
A: well i get the error,

/dev/dsp: Input/output error
Could not mmap /dev/dsp

when arts is diabled

and yes by ET i mean wolf:et

tready
31st March 2006, 12:44 PM
Thnx for your reply. I'm either going to buy a new sound card or just wipe and reload windows. Thnx