PDA

View Full Version : Games on FC5

Justbill
25th March 2006, 06:00 AM
I recently installed "Quake 3 Arena" from "Add/Remove Software in Applications. I guess I missed something because now the link is in the games menu, but the game wont run. Did I miss installing something ?
Also, can I install Quake 4 from the discs that I purchased?

Thanks in advance
Justbill

Firewing1
25th March 2006, 06:33 AM
You have to. That's why it won't run, you ahve to copy the *.pak files if I remember correctly to somewhere like /usr/local/games/quake4
see
http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/quake4/#head-3b5b3c3dcae4463b33ba18cb3086ab8b7e19c85b
btw, it may not be /usr/local/games/quake4 but /usr/games/quake4 -- see which exists.
Firewing1

Justbill
25th March 2006, 04:39 PM
OK, I am confused here! Please bear with me, I have never attempted something like this before. I have opened the Quake 4 cd1 and could not find a linux installer. Are you saying that by copying the *pak files to /usr/games/quake3, I'll then have the quake 4 game? Or do I have to Install quake 4, if I have to install quake 4, where is the linux installer? Any detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance
Justbill

Sarthan
25th March 2006, 04:52 PM
To run quake4 you must use the linux quake4 launcher. You can download the linux executable here : ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake4/linux/quake4-linux-1.0.5.x86.run

You can find a Howto on this location : http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/quake4/

Justbill
25th March 2006, 05:04 PM
Thanks! I'll give that a try a little later on today, and post back.

Justbill

Justbill
26th March 2006, 01:37 AM
OK, I don't want to seem totally stupid here, but those directions make no sense to me! Assume I have few or no skills at something like this (closer to the truth than you may think)! I have downloaded quake4-linux-1.0.5.x86.run . when I try to open it I get this messege

Could not open the file /home/bill/quake4-linux-1.0.5.x86.run

and then

gedit has not been able to detect the character coding.
Please check that you are not trying to open a binary file.
Select a character coding from the menu and try again.

charater coding (UTF-8)

So how do I run the installer, do I have to make the directory /usr/local/games/quake4/q4base, or will the installer make that directory?

How do I get the installer to run?

Thanks
Justbill

a thing
26th March 2006, 01:59 AM
It's an executable, not a text file. Run chmod +x FILE then type type the path to the file.

Justbill
26th March 2006, 03:28 AM
Head feels like it is in a vice, fingers are bleeding,brain is running out ears, and still no Quake, 3 or 4

Justbilllllllllllllllll

Justbill
26th March 2006, 04:26 AM
O.k. This is wierd, I ran the installer,started the game, it exited with this:

Initializing SDL subsystem
Loading GL driver 'libGL.so.1' through SDL
8/8/8/8 RGBA bits, 24 depth bits, 8 stencil bits
dlopen(libasound.so.2)
asoundlib version: 1.0.11rc2
Alsa is available
------ Alsa Sound Initialization -----
opened Alsa PCM device default for playback
device buffer size: 15052 frames ( 60208 bytes )
allocated a mix buffer of 16384 bytes
--------------------------------------
...using GL_ARB_multitexture
...using GL_ARB_texture_env_combine
...using GL_ARB_texture_cube_map
...using GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3
...using GL_ARB_texture_env_add
X..GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two not found
...using GL_NV_blend_square
...using GL_ARB_texture_compression
X..GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc not found
signal caught: Segmentation fault
si_code 1
Trying to exit gracefully..
[bill@Goliath ~]$

And screwed my screen resolution, its huge! It does correct itself when I log out and log back in.

Justbill

Justbill
26th March 2006, 02:11 PM
Well, this may be a graphics problem. I installed Quake 4 on my win xp partition and it wont run there either. It tries to start, and then doesn't. I had asked my nephew, who works at circuit city (where I bough t my computer) if the intel integrated graphics on this machine, was good enough for Quake 4, and he thought it would be, but said it was pushing it. So that is my guess! This machine is almost a year old, so I guess my next project will be a graphics card. Any suggestions? I have a GeForce FX 5200 in an older machine that I could swap into this one, or what I'll probably do is just pick up another card. That GeForce dealt me a fit getting it to work in that older HP Pavilion, running Ubuntu 5.10. I hope FC5 is kinder and gentler, when it comes to nvidia drivers. Here are the specs for this machine, if anyone has any thoughts on this.

Compaq Presario SR1426NX
2.93Ghz Pentium 4
1536MB PC2-3200 DDR2 SDRAM
160GB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive
Inte Graphics Media Accelerator 900 with up to 128MB shared video memory

Thanks for the help
Justbill

maximus92
31st March 2006, 06:00 AM
As an avid gamer, and one who builds his own computers, I can tell you that no integrated graphics chip is good for graphic intensive games like Quake 4. If you want to game, Circuit City should be the last place to look for a computer. Personally I recommend you build your own computer, or have a tech savy friend help you. That way you know whats going in, and what it will be able to do. It's really not that hard.

I know, it's hard to pass up that $500, only good for surfing the web, and making word document deals, but you have to pay a little to play a lot.