PDA

View Full Version : Screen refresh doesnt stay the same

UnknownPg
25th March 2006, 03:55 AM
im having a small problem in the sense that every time i change my screen refresh rate to 60 it switches back to 75 after i log out or reboot. any help?

bob
25th March 2006, 04:06 AM
First, as 'su -' try 'system-config-display' and make sure your hardware is correctly identified. Then, using gedit, modify your 'etc/X11/xorg.conf' to change the refresh rates downward to the maximum you prefer. Of course, make sure they're still within the manufacturer\s specs.

UnknownPg
25th March 2006, 05:27 PM
where in the xorg would i edit because i dont see a refresh rate entry

bob
25th March 2006, 06:59 PM
It's under the "Monitor" section. You should see something like this:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Monitor Vendor"
ModelName "17TFT LCD MN"
DisplaySize 360 290
HorizSync 31.0 - 80.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 76.0
Option "dpms"
EndSection

If for some reason those bold sections are missing, check your specs and add them.

UnknownPg
25th March 2006, 07:13 PM
and i should edit them like
HorizSync 31.0 - 80.0
VertRefresh 65.0 - 65.0

?

bob
25th March 2006, 08:32 PM
Yes, look up the specifications for your particular monitor, either from your instructions or possibly on the Webpage for the manufacturer to see that the specs you put in would be in range, but that's the idea. Since you're lowering them just a bit, you're probably okay. One other suggestion: Whenever you're making changes to a key file, like this, make a copy of the old one and rename it maybe something like 'oldxorg.conf' so you can find it quickly and copy it back if you mess up.