PDA

View Full Version : Remove Desktop file

imdaryl
25th March 2006, 03:17 AM
I have a file jre1.0.5_06 on my desktop that I csan't seem to remove, chmod or chown. I trying to log into root, and it not there. When I try to remove it, I get an error, that I don't have permission, when I try chmod or chon, it cannot find file. Any help/ideas would be great
Thanks

Seve
25th March 2006, 03:52 AM
Hi:
Log in as root, open up filebrowser and look for the folder /home, double click and you will see your /username, again double click and you should see /desktop and the jre file and right click on the jre file and select Move to Trash. If this doesn't work post back.
hth
Seve

imdaryl
25th March 2006, 04:17 PM
I'll have to try that when I get home, and let you know how it worked.
Thanks

imdaryl
26th March 2006, 12:06 AM
Seve
I did as you said (logged in as root), when I open the filebrowse>home theres no username. I opened home, but there is nothing in it either?

Guess_Who
26th March 2006, 12:31 AM

open a terminal.

type:

su
enter the root password and press enter. type:

cd ./Desktop
then type:

ls
the name of the file should be there.
then type

rm jre1.0.5_06

the file should now be removed. please post any errors you get.

imdaryl
26th March 2006, 12:37 AM
Guess Who

[daryl@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost daryl]# cd ./Desktop
[root@localhost Desktop]# ls
jre1.5.0_06
[root@localhost Desktop]# rm jre1.0.5_06
rm: cannot lstat `jre1.0.5_06': No such file or directory
[root@localhost Desktop]#

I can see it on the desktop, but I cannot remove it. I neglected to mention that it has a red circle with a line thru it, and a pencil thru the line. Not sure if it makes a difference.

When I try to drag & drop as user,(and it's not there when I log in as root) it in the trash, I get:
Error while moving.
Cannot move "/home/daryl...jre1.5.0_06" to the trash because you do not have permissions to change it or its parent folder.