PDA

View Full Version : Linux Multi Boot How To?

Red Knuckles
25th March 2006, 12:54 AM
I currently have a hard drive [320GB] with Suse 10.0 [75GB partition] and Ubuntu 5.10 [75GB partition]. I would like to add FC 5 on another 75GB partition. What steps do I need to follow to do this? Will the Partitioner on the install CD's do this? Or do I need to add a partition with QTParted on the System rescue CD? Or do I need some other partitioner? Does anyone know of a 'How To' or 'Wiki' for this? :confused:

Carlton
25th March 2006, 02:26 AM
I have found the easiest way to do this is to create a new empty partition with qtparted, or some other app then install the next linux distro in the free space.

In the past, I've found installing FC after Suse was installed resulted in rolling up the sleeves to fix grub or Suse wouldn't boot. Happily I've found this wasn't the case when I installed FC5 the other day.

Red Knuckles
26th March 2006, 02:31 AM
I have found the easiest way to do this is to create a new empty partition with qtparted, or some other app then install the next linux distro in the free space.

In the past, I've found installing FC after Suse was installed resulted in rolling up the sleeves to fix grub or Suse wouldn't boot. Happily I've found this wasn't the case when I installed FC5 the other day.

Now I have a partitioning question. When I start the install process for FC5 with CD1 at the partitioning step I tried "Use free space on selected drives and create default layout" Or "Custom" to create a new partition. I then either way get the error:

Error Partitioning

Could not allocate requested partitions:
Partitioning failed: Could not allocate partition as primary partition.

My current partition setup is:

dev/hda1 ext. 3 2 GB
dev/hda2 reiserfs 74 GB
dev/hda3 ext. 3 73 GB
dev/hda4 linux-swap 2 GB

I still have 149 GB of free space.I think they are all primary partitions. When I created the dev/hda1 ext. 3 one I thought [mistakenly] that I needed space for a boot loader. Is there a way to eliminate it? Does dev/hda4 linux-swap need to be a primary partition? I read some where that you can only have 4 primary partitions on a drive. Is that true? Can anyone help me out of this mess so I can add FC5 and maybe another OS to my drive and still have a swap partition??? :eek: