PDA

View Full Version : byzanza Causes the Gnome Desktop to freeze

jim
25th March 2006, 12:50 AM
WEll I dunno what happened after this last slew of updates but My system runs like total crap Completly useless. the apps take 5 minutes to load everything seems sluggish.
system specs
1.5 pentium M mobile processor
768 MB ram
30 BG 5400 RPM Hard drive
Intell 855GM chip set.

olenb
25th March 2006, 12:53 AM
I would check the network configuration. I lost my configuration when I did an update (using FC5 Test3 though.) DNS timeouts can make stuff take forever

jim
25th March 2006, 01:36 AM
i was able to run top and nautilus was peggingthe CPU at 98 %

free shows 748000 available 738876 used
WTF :(

jim
25th March 2006, 01:50 AM
well Nautilus is using 87% of the memory
Something from the last updates is causing this
after killing nautilus everything comes back to normal
but then nautilus starts up again and open my home DIR and the process starts over

jhetrick62
25th March 2006, 01:52 AM
Jim, reverse the updates? Strange problem, but I haven't updated since yesterday afternoon.

Jeff

jim
25th March 2006, 04:02 AM
looks like i'll re install the system is completly unusable

jhetrick62
25th March 2006, 04:41 AM
Dam, that blows! I did update, and survived? That is surely strange.

jim
25th March 2006, 04:50 AM
recording it with vnc2swf as we speak
in iotherwords I am connected to my notebook via my server and the desktop image is on my servers monitor

jim
25th March 2006, 04:51 AM
just have to figure out how to edit the swf file afterwards to remove the installing... packages.

jim
25th March 2006, 05:29 AM
Im back !!!

See http://www.fedorajim.homelinux.com/movies/fc5/fc5movie.html

bob
25th March 2006, 05:51 AM
Interesting video, package selection. One problem though - you DO realize that you showed the entire world your PASSWORD! I dunno though, using all asterisks is not very secure anyway. :D Glad to have you back - well that's one Slash and Burn apiece. Let's see how long we can keep it running this time.

jhetrick62
25th March 2006, 06:36 AM
Jim, I run normal vnc quite often. But, how did you get the connection on our laptop when you weren't installed yet? Does the install media support this? I didn't realize that and the recording was slick!

Thanks,
Jeff

jim
25th March 2006, 04:18 PM
i figured out what was the problem...

i installed byzanz to do desktop movies I added the applet to the panel Once you start this bugger it ramps up the processor and causes Nautilus to use all the memory . i installed it agai nthis morning to see if it was the cause of my massive head i now have this morning ( the 12 pack of Labats Blue doesn't help either) Well after installing it adding it tot he panel and running it, My system started to act the same way as last night. CNTL ALT Backspace open the failsafe terminal and yum remove "POS application that doesn't work" pop back into gnome and i as happy as a camper

Off to file a bug !!

jim
25th March 2006, 04:36 PM
here be the bug # for those brae souls out there
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=186709

jim
25th March 2006, 04:41 PM
Interesting video, package selection. One problem though - you DO realize that you showed the entire world your PASSWORD! I dunno though, using all asterisks is not very secure anyway. :D Glad to have you back - well that's one Slash and Burn apiece. Let's see how long we can keep it running this time.

I always change my root password on a undisclosed timetable

jim
25th March 2006, 04:51 PM
Jim, I run normal vnc quite often. But, how did you get the connection on our laptop when you weren't installed yet? Does the install media support this? I didn't realize that and the recording was slick!

Thanks,
Jeff

2 Linux PC's
You need vnc2swf software on PC 2 in order to do this
http://www.unixuser.org/~euske/vnc2swf/
also need vncserver running as well

PC 1 ( the PC your installing on )
PC 2 ( the recording PC)

boot the Linux CD/DVD on PC 1 and type at the prompt

boot: Linux vnc
this starts the vnc server and will give you a IP address of the pc that you are installing on. It starts the install process and then will give you something like enter the ip onto the remote pc ( XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX) :1

Take the IP address and use it below

To record the install issue the following onto PC 2 that will record the install

vnc2swf -startrecording -nostatus -framerate 15 fc5-install-movie.swf XXX.XXX.XXX.XX:1

From PC2 you can choose your options and install

jhetrick62
25th March 2006, 06:07 PM
Jim, thanks for the info! That will ultimately be very useful as it gives you the ability to perform an install while working on other stuff. The the video, I see that as priceless in trying to help a new user!

I'm working diligently to gain the knowledge that some of you have and it's stuff like this thread that truly help all others and what make the FC Community so strong!

Jeff