PDA

View Full Version : Gnome and KDE......

reid
24th March 2006, 10:47 PM
Is it ok to use both Gnome and KDE in FC5? Will it cause me to have any issues?? I just want to double check so I wont mess anything up- It took me for ever to get this dual-boot to work!

Thanks! :)

jim
24th March 2006, 10:50 PM
well if you want a gnome users opinion I would leave KDE off the system. I have had bad luck with kde but thats my opinion. But you could always re-install since you know how to dual boot now.

Nebuchadneza
25th March 2006, 01:41 AM
Sure it'S no problem to install both. I use KDE as my main DE since FC1. But I always keep Gnome on the system because of some programs I still use....
You can also install fluxbox, XFCE and whatever you want. It shouldn't be a problem at all!

reid
25th March 2006, 02:24 AM
Ok! Thanks for your replies!!!
Ill install KDE now. :D :D :D :D :D

Carlton
25th March 2006, 02:28 AM
I was wondering the same thing.

Now I'll install Gnome

Carlton
25th March 2006, 02:31 AM
What about installion paths. If I install Amarok in KDE or a Gnome app while in the Gnome desktop, will they work in both desktops or will the file paths be screwed up.

Firewing1
25th March 2006, 02:33 AM
it will be fine -- I have gnome + kde both installed, Gnome is my active desktop but I can still run KDE stuff in gnome 100% becuase the kde stuff is still installed.
Firewing1

Carlton
25th March 2006, 02:53 AM
Great !! Thanks.

eco2geek
25th March 2006, 02:58 AM
What about installion paths. If I install Amarok in KDE or a Gnome app while in the Gnome desktop, will they work in both desktops or will the file paths be screwed up.
Installing a KDE app while running GNOME, and vice versa, would have nothing to do with where the app is installed on your system (the "installation path").

Most properly packaged apps will put themselves in the proper places in both your KDE and GNOME menus when installed.

(Might I add that the K menu looks a lot better in FC5 -- instead of the mish-mash it's been in previous versions, it looks a lot like "regular" KDE. Thanks, guys.)

Carlton
25th March 2006, 03:22 AM
Something odd... now with both desktops installed and a switch to Gnome, I have two "trash" icons and two "home" icon's on my desktop..

What's up with that ??

eco2geek
25th March 2006, 03:35 AM
It's because GNOME's finding KDE's desktop and trash directories and displaying them. If you run both GNOME and KDE from the same user account, you're going to get those duplicates on your GNOME desktop. This isn't just an FC5 thing, it happens in other distros too.

If you want to want to avoid that, you pretty much have to create a user account for GNOME sessions only, and a user account for KDE sessions only. (At least, that's how I deal with it.)

Carlton
25th March 2006, 04:17 AM
I'll to think about that one. Maybe I'll just take them off the desktop and add them to a panel.

Thanks for the info. Nice to know it's not something I'm doing wrong.

jim
25th March 2006, 04:18 AM
the only thing required to run kde apps in gnome is kdelibs

Firewing1
25th March 2006, 05:01 AM
the only thing required to run kde apps in gnome is kdelibs
but then no apps are installed anyways!
Firewing1