PDA

View Full Version : What happens to my customized drivers when I update the kernel?

DaleEMoore
24th March 2006, 02:27 PM
Hi All,

I've justed configured some customized drivers for my wlan dwl122 usb NIC as described in more detail here http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?p=466977, and I wonder what will happen when I get my next kernel. Somewhere down the road, perhaps tomorrow, I will run "# yum -y update" and a new kernel will appear; I'll reboot to take advantage of the new kernel and I will discover my NIC doesn't work anymore...

At least that's what I'm afraid of.

It's not obvious to me now, but; will I discover over the forthcoming years that I'm going to get very chummy with re-customizing my drivers after every kernel update?

How do you, a person more experienced than I, deal with this situation?

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge,
Dale E. Moore

LocutusOfBorg
24th March 2006, 03:28 PM
will I discover over the forthcoming years that I'm going to get very chummy with re-customizing my drivers after every kernel update?
You answered yourself, and you're right.
Kernel modules are kernel specific modules. New kernel, new modules - there's no way out.

Camino
24th March 2006, 05:55 PM
donīt worry-just proceed the steps like make config,make all,make install and the kernel module is installed for the new kernel. The configfiles wonīt be modified at least by linux-wlan

So not a big deal :)

corefile
24th March 2006, 11:30 PM
you may also want to setup yum so that it doesn not include the kernel as part of an update, that way you accidently update your kernel when you were not ready to, you would then have to specificaly update the kernel with yum.

DaleEMoore
25th March 2006, 08:10 PM
Would you mind telling me, or pointing me at some notes that would tell me how to exclude kernels from future yum updates?

How do you keep track of what things need to be re-built when a new kernel is implemented? As my install base of Linux machines grows I'm worried that I won't remember what needs to be done to keep everything right.

robman
26th March 2006, 12:01 AM
Any kernel modules that aren't part of the kernel source tree need to be rebuilt or updated whenever you install a new kernel. It can be a pain in the butt, yes. If there's external modules that you need to install that aren't included in the Fedora kernel (for other than legal reasons), then that's a good reason to get the developers to get the drivers included in the stock kernel so that their users don't have to bother with this.