PDA

View Full Version : How to install software from CDs ???

fdr
24th March 2006, 03:00 AM
Dear all
I have enough 5 CDs and I have not got Internet connection. Could you tell me how to use Add/Remove Software (Pirut or yum) to install software from Fedora CDs (In detail: How to create local yum repo on harddisk). Because I am an newbie, pls tell me step by step.
Thanks for your help
Regards

u-noneinc-s
24th March 2006, 03:38 AM
Thius is from another thread on the same topic (actually just a few posts down from this one)

CAnt believe this isnt a common problem. I quickly rushed though the installation and thought I'd add packages afterwards. The solution is to edit /etc/yum.conf and where it says "enter your repos here" underneath add
[base dvd]
name=Fedora Base DVD
baseurl=file:///media/disk/
enabled=1

change baseurl to wherever you mounted dvd is

I also moved the yum.repos.d directory out the way so it didnt get read. I ahve installed all the bits and pieces I needed of the DVD now succesfully. Now I can restore the yum.repos.d directory and update

HTH.

Omega Blue
24th March 2006, 04:21 AM
I am pretty sure the Add/Remove Application thing lets you add from CDs. It used to, haven't intalled FC5 yet...

fdr
24th March 2006, 05:15 AM
Don't anry with me because I am a newbie.
1. I add the line into /etc/yum.conf
[base dvd]
name=Fedora Base DVD
baseurl=file:///media/disk/
enabled=1
2. Restart computer
3. Put 1st CD Fedora Core 5 in CDROM
4. Run Add/Remove Software
5. Add/Remove Software shows message "Unable retrieve software information"

=> I think there are diffirence between DVD and CDs
Could you tell me how to install software from CDs?
Thanks

fdr
24th March 2006, 05:18 AM
I am sorry
5. Add/Remove Software shows message "Another application is running which is accessing software information."

u-noneinc-s
24th March 2006, 05:32 AM
First you should backup your /etc/yum.conf and save it so you don't mess up your yum.
I don't know if this works, but the person that posted it said it worked. I havn't installed FC5 yet, but reading all these posts
on FC5 and yum and add remove programs, it seems like it was disigned with yum pretty much in control of
installing/updating pkgs. FC5 wants to be sure you have the most up-to-date packages.

Before you try this, you might wait for further advice from someone who has figured it out for sure. I'm still lufking and
trying to note some of the common problems before I make the jump myself.
If the above doesn't work try changing [base dvd] to [base cd] and name=Fedora Base DVD name=Fedora Base CD. Just make sure baseurl=file:///media/disk/ points to your cdrom (probably file:///media/cdrom/) or maybe /media/cdwriter
if that's what it's called

fdr
24th March 2006, 07:21 AM
I have changed [base dvd] => [base cd] and 'Fedora Base DVD' name => 'Fedorra Base CD' but I alway shows message "Unable retrieve software information"

lovetide
28th March 2006, 08:33 AM
Dear all
I have enough 5 CDs and I have not got Internet connection. Could you tell me how to use Add/Remove Software (Pirut or yum) to install software from Fedora CDs (In detail: How to create local yum repo on harddisk). Because I am an newbie, pls tell me step by step.
Thanks for your help
Regards

I encountered the same problem, waiting for answer... :confused:
I installed FC5 from the 5CDs version, with the default software package. When I want to config samba server, I found samba server does not installed, so I click "Add/Remove Software" menu item from "Applications" menu group, after a long time waiting, I got an "Unable to retrieve software information" :eek: message box in Chinese, when I click OK, the "Add/Remove Software" closed.