PDA

View Full Version : grub screen not loading in dual-os system

enzyme6
24th March 2006, 02:39 AM
I installed Fedora core 3 in addition to a existing windows xp partition. yes i said "3" (this happened a while back). I was able to dual-boot fine back then. Then my xp crashed and I had to reformat. Problem is now grub doesn't ask me which OS to boot. It automatically loads XP now. However, I know that the Fedora OS is still there because I can access its directories using linux rescue. The grub.conf file looks fine... Windows is first and fc is 2nd. I read that a grub install might fix this. thing is I read that "installs" should be done by ppl who know what they're doing. Since I'm a linux n00b, is it a good idea to play around with it? Thanks.

24th March 2006, 03:48 AM
you can perform a grub install, piece of piss honestly.. Do a search of these forums, ppl wishing to poke and burn grub is as old as the hills with many a thread dedicated to such complaints. The grub howto in to "howto" thread will provide you with everything you need to do.. ;)

but since your a linux newbie im not going to tell you where it is, you venture of in to the howto section and descover the wonder by your own lorals. ;)

It will tatse better promise :)

Spookster
24th March 2006, 08:20 AM
After booting with FC3 disc one in your CD drive type

linux rescue
follow the prompts first two will ask language so select your language the third will ask if you need network for this select no, fourth one click continue

at this point you should be at a command line

type:

chroot /mnt/sysimage
grub-install /dev/hda --recheck
type exit to get out of command line and it will reboot. Be sure you remove the CD before rebooting though.