Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Wibble
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Wibble A place to have a sensible chat, about anything non linux related. Please remember that political and religious topics are not permitted.

Closed Thread

Old 1st July 2004, 06:46 PM
ukdelinquent Offline

I am a geek - geek is the new Kool. And i still get laid. My life is perfect
"I suspect that this is nothing new in the world, however. I have a mental image of Ugg the caveman cursing and swearing while a cave bear chews on his leg, and wondering why the Mark VI FlintAxe he got from Ogg the knapper yesterday is not beating the bear to death by itself. After all, Ogg said that it was a major improvement over the PointyStick Mark II…"
Old 8th July 2004, 07:20 PM
Xeophonix Offline

Ok well, I made a totally new system but retained 2 components:

1) Floppy drive
2) Monitor

Both are 4 years old. Being a gamer, I find the monitor a real pain, I have ALWAYS said i'll buy a new monitor, but I always seem to spend my money on other things (or components) when I think about it, I have spent enough on relatively un-needed upgrades that I didn't really need, just things to improve my overclock, which usually means buying the best, especially with cooling products. *sigh* I now have buyers remorse. :-P
Old 8th July 2004, 09:49 PM
ChrisMUC Offline

Oldest piece of HW still in use? It's probably my old noname 3.5" floppy drive, made in 1992.
I don't know, if it's the drive or the old disks (which are sometimes even older), 4 out of 5 are not usable anymore. Formatting and checking for bad blocks return errors on them. It's really difficult for me to find working disks any more.

In my cellar, there are two boxes out of really old hardware, all still usable (at least theoretically, since most modern mainboards don't have ISA slots any more). The oldest of
them are probably a Siemens MFM Disk (5 1/4", full height, 600MB) with controller, still working, which was used until last year in my kids' Pentium 200 MMX computer, some ISA VGA Graphics cards from the late eighties and an acoustic coupler with 1200 Baud. And of course a Schneider PC1512 with two 360KB drives, color monitor and dot-matrix-printer. In working condition, of course.

Who knows, probably this old stuff will become interesting in fifty years or so
Old 18th January 2006, 04:49 PM
chatles Offline

Atari 600XL
Old 18th January 2006, 05:38 PM
codergeek42 Offline

Up until a few months ago, I would have said that the oldest piece of hardware in my machine was my video card (Riva TNT2). I've since replaced that with a shiny Radeon 9200, so all is well.

I guess the oldest aspect of my box now is my backup hard disk, which is a 3 year-old Quantum Fireball (20 gigs, 2 meg cache, ATA/100).
~~ Peter ~~ :: ( Who am I? ) :: ( My Blog: A day (or more) in the life of a CS & Language student... ) :: ( Supporter of the EFF & FSF ) :: ( I'm a GNU/Linux addict and Free Software Advocate. ) :: ( How to Ask Questions the Smart Way ) :: ( The Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat ) :: ( GNOME: The Free Software Desktop Project ) :: ( GnuPG Public Key ) :: ( About me on the WIki )
Old 18th January 2006, 06:01 PM
Zigzagcom Offline

I can't find that old slide rule I used in the 70's any more, if that would count as old "hardware", lol.
But this thread made me rummage through all my old HDD's. The oldest I could find was a 530MB
SCSI Fujitsu, but no date. Many of the drives on my shelf are hand-me-downs. Maybe it's time to see what can be salvaged.
Old 24th June 2007, 12:24 AM
spartas Offline

The oldest piece of hardware I have (that I still use) is a WD 80Gb hard drive from 2001. I picked it up under $100 after Mail-In rebate and I thought that was a good deal.

My non-usable hardware includes a Kaypro 10 system with a 10Mb hard drive from 1983. It ran CP/M quite well.
Gigabyte 965P-DS3
nVidia 6800XT
3GB DDR2 667Mhz
Hardware Profile
Old 24th June 2007, 02:00 AM
Dan Offline
Administrator

The Oscar Fox punching the keys on the keyboard!
Old 24th June 2007, 05:10 PM
Omega Blue Offline

The most ancient thingies I have are a Plextor CD-ROM SCSI drive at 4x speed and a Maxtor 200MB SCSI HDD. Both over 10 years old. I used to have a 5 1/4 FDD but chucked it out a while ago.
Old 24th June 2007, 05:51 PM
leadgolem Offline

Now? A lexmark z55 printer. Which actually does work in fedora 6-7, after some fiddling. If you had asked me last year, it would have been a dot matrix printer, production date 1984.... The same year I was born...
Old 24th June 2007, 10:24 PM
techmatt Offline

dam youngsters

I have an Apple IIe that I still use to play Carmen Sandiego (never have beat it)

Registered Linux user number 433760

Last edited by techmatt; 24th June 2007 at 10:26 PM.
Old 24th June 2007, 10:41 PM
Coolerthanyou Offline

If you count a gamepad, that is the oldest thing connected to it. It's a simple 4 button gamepad, rather crappy, but it has outlasted the fancier PC gamepads I have bought and it's there because I don't feel like wasting money on another one that will last less than a year and cost too much bundled with all sorts of bells and whistles. The old pad has been around since the 80's or early 90's probably. Why can't any of these good for nothing companies of today make a decent, lasting gamepad? Silly bastards!
Old 24th June 2007, 11:10 PM
Lindy Offline

What surprises me is the age of this thread!!
Old 24th June 2007, 11:22 PM
leadgolem Offline

Spartas woke it up this time. It looks like somebody has stumbled across it from time to time, posted, and revived it for a while. Good subjects never die, they just get beaten over and over and over.............................................. ..............and over.............................................. .....................................and.......... ...BANG

In breaking news an errant poster on the popular linux forum "Fedora Forum" was shot by a worker for "The Campaign against infinities" And now the Weather.

Last edited by leadgolem; 24th June 2007 at 11:25 PM.
Old 25th June 2007, 03:07 AM
w5set Offline

@leadgolem
So give with the weather--I'm tired of rain here.....what's it gonna do?

Oldness of the thread not withstanding--does a 486 sx 30 laptop with cga screen and 32 meg mem/dial up modem, floppy, 240 meg hard drive and no network card/or CD running win 95 (that's a laptop??)
qualify for still runnable and hanging around?
Closed Thread