Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 15th March 2006, 05:52 PM
hansmunich Offline

Question some questions from a linux newbie

Hi,

at first I will say that my english isn't so good and that I'm newbie. But I hope you will understand what I mean and maybe can help me.

Well at first I've the problem that every start (login screen) I become the message that an error occured and that one comand line will be wrong into the configuration file.

So my question is, where I can look which line is wrong and where I can find the configuration file?

The next question is regarding the comand line.

Now at the terminal is standing: [root@dhcppc0 Desktop]#

My two questions now are: where comes the name "dhcppc0" from?
Is it possible to see (I switch from Suse to fedora and at SuSe it was possible) the full path? To to give an example instead of [root@dhcppc0 Desktop]# that there is standing [root@dhcppc0 /home/username/Desktop]# and if it will be possibe how to change that.

The last Question (I google a lot for it) is regarding Kmail and mail filtering.
I'm using Kmail and also Spamassassin 3.1 on this laptop here. So far so good. I'm using for the spam filtering spamc to make the filtering faster. I also create a lot of filter rules to sort my emails in special folders and also using now 7 mail accounts. When emails will be recieved or if I start Kmail it takes between 2-5 (sometimes more) minutes till I can use kmail again because I think kmail don't filter into the background it filters the mails into the foreground. So how can I make it faster.

Here the KDE datas (maybe interesting)

kmail --version
Qt: 3.3.4
KDE: 3.5.1-0.1.fc4 Red Hat
KMail: 1.9.1

Thnx for helping me.
Greetings out of munich
Hans
Old 15th March 2006, 06:04 PM
Firewing1 Offline

I don't use KDE, So I can't help there, but to see your working directory use the print working directory command:
Code:
pwd
will show you.
Firewing1
Old 15th March 2006, 06:29 PM
hansmunich Offline

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewing1
I don't use KDE, So I can't help there, but to see your working directory use the print working directory command:
Code:
pwd
will show you.
Firewing1
Hi Firewing,

that comand I know but what I want ist that when I change the path at the comand line ist standing :

[root@dhcppc0 /etc/opt ]#

for example. (see the /etc/opt part) Don't want type always pwd. Sometimes it's good that you know where you are now and also for past and copy for special comands f.e. like cp.
So I realy miss this function at fedora comand line.

But thanx for your help very much.

Greetings
Hans
Old 15th March 2006, 07:22 PM
u-noneinc-s Offline

Maybe in SUSE you were using a csh (tcsh) and now you are using bash? Type csh and see what
happens, then you can type exit and it will return to what you have now. You can set csh to be your
default shell, but I don't recall how to do it. I think it's in the passwd file. If it is the passwd file, I
believe after you edit the file and save it you will also need to run a command for that change to
take effect(?). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong as I have only done this once and do not
quite remember exactly.
hansmunich, please do not take my word for this. Wait for confirmation. But you can do the csh
without harm and that will let us know if this is what you do want.
Old 15th March 2006, 07:43 PM
Lluisanunez Offline

In gnome menu this is in System settings -> Users and groups. Under the user properties you select bash, csh or whatever
Hansmunich, dhcppc0 is the name assigned to your PC, you can change that in network config, hostname
registered linux user #317675

Last edited by Lluisanunez; 15th March 2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old 15th March 2006, 08:08 PM
u-noneinc-s Offline

Lluisanunez is correct. Although /etc/passwd does contain this info, the gnome and kde GUI's
would be much easier. The Kde one is under the system tool menu --> kuser manager. I have only
2 users on this system and both since it was set up so I have never even looked at those GUI's.
Good to know
Old 15th March 2006, 11:13 PM
markkuk Offline

You change the bash prompt by setting the PS1 shell variable. You can add the current directory to the prompt with the code "\w", see: http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/man...ref.html#SEC83
Old 15th March 2006, 11:46 PM
hansmunich Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by markkuk
You change the bash prompt by setting the PS1 shell variable. You can add the current directory to the prompt with the code "\w", see: http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/man...ref.html#SEC83
Well if I typ \w that happens:

Quote:
00:18:59 up 32 min, 3 users, load average: 0,49, 0,68, 0,63
USER TTY FROM LOGIN@ IDLE JCPU PCPU WHAT
user1 :0 - 23:50 ?xdm? 3:11 0.10s /bin/sh /usr/bi
user1 pts/1 - 23:51 27:59 0.00s 1.92s kded [kdeinit]
user1 pts/2 - 00:16 0.00s 0.09s 0.01s w
If i typ in for example \h
Quote:
\h
The hostname, up to the first `.'.
then comes:
\h
bash: h: command not found

Oh and I find now out how it works with the hostname. The most eays way is to go (as KDE user) to go to the control center there under "Internet & Network" you can change the hostname.
But you also can set it over the /etc/hosts file.

So the only two things I miss is to change the bash prompt and at secont the filtering of kmail.

At this point I realy will say thank you to all people here to help a newbie with his problems. I also think sometimes to change to gnome but I don't know why the outlook from KDE ist more easy for me, maybe because I use before only wintendo.

Greetings
Hans
Old 15th March 2006, 11:51 PM
u-noneinc-s Offline

I'm afraid this is something that is currently over my head and perhaps a topic for future discussion.
I do ok with man pages when they are "straight forward", and most commands "in their simplest forms"
but getting into bash is a long and complicated manual with lots of options and vaiables and builtin
and all that. This is one of those instances where tutorials would be greatly appreciated (or at least
examples of what a PS1 variable is and how to do it.
Like I said, a topic for another discussion. This after all is hansmunich's thread and I hope he get's
(or got) his answer. (AADD and "oldtimers victim here )
Old 16th March 2006, 12:21 AM
hansmunich Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by u-noneinc-s
I'm afraid this is something that is currently over my head and perhaps a topic for future discussion.
I do ok with man pages when they are "straight forward", and most commands "in their simplest forms"
but getting into bash is a long and complicated manual with lots of options and vaiables and builtin
and all that. This is one of those instances where tutorials would be greatly appreciated (or at least
examples of what a PS1 variable is and how to do it.
Like I said, a topic for another discussion. This after all is hansmunich's thread and I hope he get's
(or got) his answer. (AADD and "oldtimers victim here )
Hi,

well I also see that it's not easy, also for cracks not Only thought that some guy here have an answer for that problem. Well till today I never think about because (sometimes not good), suse makes it easy for users. So this things was ready and other things are more easy then with fedora. But the good side of it is that I grow now with the system and very interested into.

First I think about install debian, but then I decied for fedora ant think it was a good choice.

Well but think for now I've to give up my bash project because no answer seems to be aviable.

So the only open point for now is my question "Why Kmail takes so long for filtering".
Normaly I allways thought the most things go faster then into wintendo but in this point wintendo ist clear the winner. On my other desktop I use wintendo and as mail client thebat and I must say that it works also with spam filtering faster then kmail.

But maybe someone have an idea how I can make it faster for me, because to wait for a look into the mailaccount between 2-5 minuts think isn't ok.

Greetings
Hans
Old 16th March 2006, 11:41 AM
markkuk Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansmunich
Well if I typ \w that happens:
\w is a code that should be included in the PS1 variable, not typed on the command line.
Old 28th March 2006, 05:26 PM
OutBreaker Offline

Hi Hansmunich.

To see the full path in your prompt with bash, just type in this command :

Quote:
export PS1="[\u@\h \w]\$"
If you want your prompt changed permanently, add the command to the file ~/.bash_profile.
Old 28th March 2006, 09:50 PM
hansmunich Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutBreaker
Hi Hansmunich.

To see the full path in your prompt with bash, just type in this command :

If you want your prompt changed permanently, add the command to the file ~/.bash_profile.
How must I put it in?

my ~/.bash_profile looks now like that:

Quote:
# .bash_profile

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
. ~/.bashrc
fi

# User specific environment and startup programs

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
export PATH
unset USERNAME
thnx for your help.

Regards out of munich
Hans
Old 28th March 2006, 09:59 PM
Firewing1 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansmunich
How must I put it in?
my ~/.bash_profile looks now like that:
thnx for your help.

Regards out of munich
Hans
Just add this line to the end of the file:
Code:
export PS1="[\u@\h \w]\$"
and then logout, log back in.
Firewing1
Old 28th March 2006, 10:08 PM
OutBreaker Offline

You bash_profile looks OK. You can add the line to it in (at least) two different ways.

You can do it with one command like this:
1- Open a console (OR press ALT-F2 to use the run command dialog)
2- Type in: echo export PS1=\"[\\u@\\h \\w]\\$\" >> ~/.bash_profile and press enter
(Notice the extra '\' when using this method)

You could also add it using a text editor.
1- Press ALT-F2 and enter "kate ~/.bash_profile" as the command, without the quotes.
2- Add the line export PS1="[\u@\h \w]\$" at the end of the file.
3- Save and exit.

You will probably need to logout of the desktop environment and log back in for the change to take effect.

Last edited by OutBreaker; 28th March 2006 at 10:13 PM.

Tags
linux, newbie, questions